Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
so i bought a seat for my atv, i matched it on partzilla, but i get it and it doenst even lock onto the latch... it looks like it should fit but it doenst latch... anyone know why?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2008 Sportsman 700 X2 seat has some rubber grommets that make the seat "snap" down on the two posts near the rear of the seat area. Compare your old seat with your new seat to see if the new one might be missing the grommets. I bought new ones for my old seat and it helped it lock down better.

Hope that helps...

Andy

·
11,162 Posts
Hi,
so i bought a seat for my atv, i matched it on partzilla, but i get it and it doenst even lock onto the latch... it looks like it should fit but it doenst latch... anyone know why?
The seat on the old twins are a known problem. If your old seat was broken down pretty good like many of them are after years of punishment, the bar that the seat latch snaps onto on the rear may be bent down and needs some adjustment. IIRC, that bar only attaches to the rear plastic so be careful in trying to bend it back up into position.
You should also probably search the forum for the thread about putting pieces of small angle iron or other side rail material on the top frame rails up by the front seat legs toward the tank. That's a common issue on the older twins that those tall seat legs will squash out off the side of the frame rail they sit on and crack the seat pan. Once it does that your weight is right down on the air box which will eventually create other problems like breaking the box tabs, pulling the intake duct loose at the throttle body or carb making it run rough and letting dust in, etc...That thread had pictures of how to fix it. I'll try to remember to snap a shot of how I fixed my 800 after going through 2 replacement seats in two years. Never been a problem since that mod for about 12,000 miles!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
The seat on the old twins are a known problem. If your old seat was broken down pretty good like many of them are after years of punishment, the bar that the seat latch snaps onto on the rear may be bent down and needs some adjustment. IIRC, that bar only attaches to the rear plastic so be careful in trying to bend it back up into position.
You should also probably search the forum for the thread about putting pieces of small angle iron or other side rail material on the top frame rails up by the front seat legs toward the tank. That's a common issue on the older twins that those tall seat legs will squash out off the side of the frame rail they sit on and crack the seat pan. Once it does that your weight is right down on the air box which will eventually create other problems like breaking the box tabs, pulling the intake duct loose at the throttle body or carb making it run rough and letting dust in, etc...That thread had pictures of how to fix it. I'll try to remember to snap a shot of how I fixed my 800 after going through 2 replacement seats in two years. Never been a problem since that mod for about 12,000 miles!
OK, Thanks for your help! would it work to just put a few washers under those screws to lift it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts