Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I went for a ride a few weeks ago.
He got his Polaris 800 stuck to the top of the tires in heavy mud so I pulled him out with my Rincon.

We got close to home and it happened again but we both sunk. I winched myself out and then worked on freeing the Polaris again.

It was starting to get dark so I hooked up the winch to his 800 as he reved it but it would not budge.
I turned mine around to get a running start and finally got him loose. The one problem was that his bike would not re-start. Everything was dead.

I had to drag him about 2 miles home.

When we got there we washed them both off and started looking at why the Polaris would not start. No lights, nothing.

Turns out his kill switch was in the OFF position and when I moved it it fired right off. I was surprised because when the switch was OFF everything was dead. On my Honda, you would get lights and power but just would not fire.

Anyway we seemed to have damaged the transmission by towing him home. He said he was in neutral but for whatever reason after finding a grinding noise during backup or forward we seemed to have damaged something.

The mechanic said the clutches were good but the bearings in the transmission were bad....

Has anyone ever heard that these Sportsman 800 AWD quads can not be towed? If so, is their a special way to tow them w/o damaging the gearbox?

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Just a guess, but I'm betting he didn't have it in neutral like he thought. With the kill switch in the off position, he couldn't see the display for the gear selector either. You can tow them just fine in neutral without doing damage to the machine.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts