Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. a little background. i've got a 2006 800, i've had it since it was new, has 8300 miles and still runs awesome. lately it has started going through belts, i ran the stock belt for almost 7000 miles and changed it just because but it seems lately i can run forever between 0 and 25 miles an hour but if i go down the road at 40+ for any amount of time it wears the outside of the belt and breaks it. i've heard everything from engine mounts to clutch issues but dont know where to start. i have done nothing to the clutch, bone stock. any insight would be appreciated....

·
Registered
900 Posts
That seems odd...... Since going slow doesn't seem to bother the belt , the low position on your clutch sheaves should be ok but the higher areas might have a burr on them somewhere. I've never heard of that , but I know the sheaves do get cracks in them. This may be chewing away at your belt. You need to remove it and inspect it thoroughly.
Motor mount conditon and belt alignment are important but I think you have a different issue. Let us know how you make out....

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think I'd start with clean out the clutches and housing with compressed air. (hint: set a box fan up behind you blowing at your back and open the garage door :D) Then I'd clean the sheaves, of both the primary and driven clutches, lightly with scotch brite in a center to outer (or vise-sersa) motion. After that wipe away any remaining dust from the sheaves with a rag and rubbing alcohol. Just sounds like you have a burr, mark or something on the sheaves that keeps eating belts?? I'd also inspect the sheaves closely while doing this cleaning. Reassemble and hole for the best!

Good Luck!!

Edit: Kevcules, they say great minds think alike! Must be true as we stated nearly the same thing at the same time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i'll do that. i know what you mean about the belt dust...it makes a huge mess. i hope it's just a burr on the sheave.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If it's wearing in one side then your motor is cocking to the side. Only does it at higher speeds because of the power involved in keeping it moving at that speed compared to slower. Probably also does it as you take off for a second or two too. And at that mileage you definitely will need some clutch repairs.

·
11,613 Posts
With that mileage, I'd guess you have a front mount broken and probably also need the clutches freshened up and/or replaced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all. a little background. i've got a 2006 800, i've had it since it was new, has 8300 miles and still runs awesome. lately it has started going through belts, i ran the stock belt for almost 7000 miles and changed it just because but it seems lately i can run forever between 0 and 25 miles an hour but if i go down the road at 40+ for any amount of time it wears the outside of the belt and breaks it. i've heard everything from engine mounts to clutch issues but dont know where to start. i have done nothing to the clutch, bone stock. any insight would be appreciated....
Check your engine mounts. Mine was chewing up belts, and i had two broken mounts. Replaced and good to go.
Also, take off your housing and see if the belt is riding center. There is a one-way bearing on the clutch, make sure it turns. Does your 800 creep when in low or lurch forward when your shift from neutral?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Haha....we were definitely on the same page Matthew !! :)

So what's the latest news thread starter??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry... i've been bidding some jobs and haven't gotten farther into pulling the housing off and checking things out. i'll tear into it tonight and provide feedback..it might creep a tiny bit but not crazy, i'll check the one way bearing and the engine mounts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
sorry... i've been bidding some jobs and haven't gotten farther into pulling the housing off and checking things out. i'll tear into it tonight and provide feedback..it might creep a tiny bit but not crazy, i'll check the one way bearing and the engine mounts.
Don't worry about it........I was just wondering if you had found something already.....good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
side tracked again....:motz::motz:i'm helping my son put shocks on the front of his tacoma....i thought working on wheelers was a pain....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright so i got it all apart...just running my hands down the sheaves they fill ok, and the belt looks like it is running more to the outside of the clutch if anything. the belt spins when the wheeler is in neutral and running. i'm not sure what to look for on the motor mounts, they all look the same. any insight would be appreciated..thanks in advance...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Use a bar to pry up on the front mount...it should not move. Often the rubber separates from the metal.
I just put a brand new mount on the bottom and when I pry on it, it moves a little bit.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k. i definately need a new front motor mount. could it be something that simple or would i be that lucky. what should i do to the clutches while i got it all apart besides clean them real good. like stated before the belt runs around when it is neutral and idling..

·
Registered
505 Posts
k. i definately need a new front motor mount. could it be something that simple or would i be that lucky. what should i do to the clutches while i got it all apart besides clean them real good. like stated before the belt runs around when it is neutral and idling..
Are u able to take a vid of the movement u have.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a video of the motor running while in neutral? yes i can. the front motor mount is completely seperated from each other. i can lift it clear off. i'll go take a video and upload it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Def, check all your mounts. I had two broken, front and the top side.
Mine were a pita to change, but it completely fixed my belt issue. Make sure you put your spacers back in. It does seem like a cheap (lucky) fix, but it makes total sense. As you apply throttle, the motor tweaks and that causes your belt to slip and eventually fail. re-aligning the clutches is what worried me. There is a tool for it, but i improvised on mine. after you get everything back together, ride for a bit and periodically check your housing to see if its getting excessively hot. that could indicate your alignment is off, all previous things being corrected, you might need a technician to align for you.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Once you replace your motor mount , then maybe it will re-align your primary clutch to keep the belt in the center. You can tweak the motor position in the slot that the motor mount fits into ,or add or take away shims from behind the secondary clutch to align the belt.
Your belt should not touch the primary clutch sheaves at idle. Adjust until it rides in the center.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts