Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2006 Sportsman 800, and up until now I haven't had any problems with it. It has been sitting since about Feb of this year.I put a new battery in it, it still had the original, but now I don't hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key like i used to. I can hold my hand over the air intake and it will run for a few seconds on the fuel it pulls in, so in know it is getting a spark. Would sitting up cause the fuel pump to gum up, and if so is there a way to clean it out? Or, will I have to replace the pump all together? Thanks for any help and/or advice!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you don't hear the pump running at all it sounds more like an electrical problem to me. It might have a little varnish forming but not to the point of stopping the pump altogether. Even so, after you follow the steps below, you should drain the old gas out of the tank and the fuel lines, change the fuel filter, and then treat a new tank of gas with Sea Foam. It won't clean the pump until it pulls gas through but you need to get the pump running to do that. 90% chance it is either loose/broken wires/connections.

1. Check your self-resetting circuit breakers located by the radiator cap just under the inspection panel inside the front storage box. The power to the pump runs through these. The mechanism isn't likely to go bad but the contacts get corroded occasionally. Make sure the contacts are clean. Turn the key on and see if the pump runs.

2. If the pump doesn't run, check voltage to the pump. On the right side of the steering column just below the headlight pod, there is a 3-wire plug with one end disappearing just under the tank cover. This is the fuel pump power and fuel gauge lead. Unplug it and clean it, then turn the key on, and check for voltage on the pod side of the plug between the A and C terminals (marked on the side of the plug). If there is no voltage, the problem is likely the ignition switch ().

3. If there is voltage present, check the continuity on the tank side of the plug, again between the A and C terminals. If no continuity, you will need to pull the front plastics off and check for broken wires at the plug and on top of the tank. Since you're there, pull the pump assembly out far enough to inspect the wires and connectors to the pump itself inside the the tank. Unless you intend to replace the filter sock, don't try to pull the assembly all the way out. Check the continuity of each wire between the plug and the connector to the pump. If an individual wire lacks continuity, you have found your problem. If they both check out OK and you still can't get continuity at the plug, the pump is probably a goner. Contrary to what Polaris says, the pump and filter sock can easily be replaced with aftermarket parts from any auto parts store for about $100 without replacing the whole tank assembly for $500.

You wil probably end up with a check engine light from turning the key on with the fuel pump unplugged. Remove the negative battery cable for about 30 seconds to clear it.

That should be enough to get you started.

Hope it helps,
Stew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Stew!! I downloaded a manual that Cookies had a link to, so between the two of you, I feel like I can get something accomplished. Or either tear it completely up!! I will post after I try everything and give an update.

·
Registered
919 Posts
LOL! Hopefully you won't tear anything up unless it's on purpose. I've found the Haynes manual to be helpful as well. The factory manual assumes a certain amount of Polaris mechanic training has been received. Also, the Haynes manual is a little more in layman's terms with some tips and tricks, has some workarounds when special tools are required, and it addresses some specs not found in the manual. Let me know what happens.

Good luck,
Stew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I had 4.7 volts at the plug, and I wasn't sure how many volts were needed. I ran two wires from the battery and the pump started working. So, that means I'm not getting enough voltage for some reason. I am gonna try to figure that out this afternoon when I get off work. Any advice on where the voltage drop may be occurring?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Mine does the same thing and that's normal. When I initially turn the key on, the pump gets about 13 volts, primes the system and then the voltage drops to around 4.5-5 volts, cutting the pump off (it won't run on less than ~7 volts until you actually start the engine). I assume the ECU manages this.

Try measuring the voltage with the pump plugged in and right when you turn the key on. It should jump to 13+ and then go down to 4-5 after a couple seconds. If that's the case, I bet the plug to the gas tank is bad or has a broken wire somewhere near or inside it. Also try bypassing the plug by putting a temporary hard wire around it.

If you don't initially get 13 volts to the pump, then obviously we need to look somewhere else for the problem.

Stew

·
Registered
5 Posts
No power to fuel pump

Did you ever solve the problem? My 2006 800 efi is doing the same thing no power to the wire that feeds the pump but when I apply power to it it works fine. Also had same situation. It sat unused for about a year and battery went bad, totaly dead.

Thanks
Kelly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution

What was the solution to this issue? I'm currently having the same problem with my 2006 Polaris sportsman 700.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts