Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2006 sportsmna 800 developed a rattling noise somewhere around my right leg. i have checked the exhaust shieds and they all seem tight. i have also checked to see if the exhaust is cracked where the 2 come together. i notice it more when the back wheels are turning. when in park it does it a little but is more noticable when in gear. rattles when it is both hot and cold. anything else i could check? it seems to start around 3200 rpms.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This could be caused by a couple of things.

First, the springs that hold the exhaust together can become fatigued;

or there is a small rubber bumper under the pipe just after the pipe straightens out from the manifold toward the muffler. This wears down to the metal the rubber is mounted on. Causing a metal to metal condition.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2008 800, it does the same thing drives me nuts. I'm pretty sure it’s the exhaust rattling on something. It’s just so hard to narrow it down to exactly where it’s at, while you’re sitting on it riding around.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
When I swapped out to the HD rear springs I found one of my rattles on my 700 to be the muffler. Seems it was barely clearing the rear fender brackets and when running would just touch them causing a very annoying rattle/buzz. I removed the muffler and with a air grinder and a high speed burr re-contoured the brackets for 1/4" of clearance. Then by adding washers was able to move the muffler up just a bit off the rear sway bar. Now she purrs OH so nicely...

Have a look at yours, hitting the sway bar is common. Also fatigued springs too as Racer already told you. (How ya feeling man?) Also look at the heat shields, they can cause a racket.

CW

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i just checked it out, and racer371 was correct the rubber bumper is completely worn through. now my next question is, what is this called? i looked in my repair manual and online and cant find it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ok, now that I looked at the parts for an '06 800, I can't find a single exhaust. I assume your bike is single.

So, if it is then this is what you will need: Isolator- Stop Part number 3022073.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ok, now that I looked at the parts for an '06 800, I can't find a single exhaust. I assume your bike is single.

So, if it is then this is what you will need: Isolator- Stop Part number 3022073.

Hope this helps!
I didn.t find this isolater... Point me in the right direction... Its in front of the muffler I assume.....

I also have a single exhaust.

CW

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey, CW, how you doing? Things are improving as some of the feeling is coming back.

It should be under the pipe just after the U in the pipe from the manifold. There will be a spring next to it.

Go to a parts diagram and look at item 20.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
FOUND IT!!

Mine still looks OK...

CW

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 800 has dual back to about 1/4 way back the seat, then goes into one back to the right muffler, then splits and a pipe goes over to the muffler on the left. the piece that was on there looked like an exhaust donut cut in half and was glued to the top of the side case. so thats what i used, went to auto parts store got a small ehaust donut cut it down and reglued it back on and all the rattling stopped. a five dollar fix, cant beat that. i would like to thank everyone who has helped me out. thank-you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Still a little confused. So the rattle was at the point when the dual pipe goes it one at the muffler? Shoot a pic if you can.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You're welcome! I just love it when a plan comes together!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found my rattle. I had the seat of to charge the battery, and when I started it with the seat off the rattling was much louder when I revved the motor. I found that the metal clip that holds the battery down was making the noise. So I wedge a plastic shim between the battery and the clip and no more noise. Now my 2008 800 black stealth is really stealth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts