Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying new wheels and tires found some wheels and tires I like but the wheels are 12x8 with -10.2 offset and the tires only come in 28-10x12 so I’ll be putting that size around the whole bike will the wheels and the tires work with that offset and size on the front of the atv and the back

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
Don't hold me to it but I'm certain that 10.2 is not the offset, at least I can't see how. Can you message them for more info??

·
10,387 Posts
I can tell just by looking that tire/wheel combo WILL NOT work on your 2006 800 unless you also install HUGE wheel spacers! The are extremely offset to the inside and a 10" wide tire on that wheel won't even bolt up on your machine.

·
10,387 Posts
After some review and calculations I'll qualify my previous post. Those wheels MIGHT work but I'm not sure they will on the front with 10" wide tires. It'll be close.
The picture you have posted doesn't appear to match with a negative (-10.2) little less than 1/2" negative offset wheel. The problem with a strut front suspension as on your 800 and wider front tires is clearance. Hopefully someone who has actually tried that combo will speak up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a good offset that will work on the atv and the widest tire I can fit on the front of it

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
4+3 should be able to fit 10" wide fronts. I have 5/8"-3/4" from my tie-rod ends with 9" fronts. So with 10" you'll be 1/2" wider then my set-up. Unless I'm missing something @polman500???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-4 thank you the only reason I’m asking I found some mud bugs that only come in 28x10x12 and that’s the only ones I’ve seen I actually like that’s in my price range

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
Question is why go wider then 9"?? Couple problems at 10" the tires become squared at the tread so more contact area. 8"+9" have a rounded tread which in normal operating situations provides favorable steering characteristics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And 10 the only size that come in a 28 I can go to a 27 to get a 9 but I’m wanting a lil bit bigger tire for ground clearance

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
Gotcha!!! Chk out MudThrowers.com they have a really cool wheel builder. Also ITP makes a inexpensive but very stout steel wheel in blk or gry called Delta Steel. Chk those rims out wrapped in some Kenda Bearclaw HTRs. Start from there and build some other combos. I mention the ITPs and Bearclaws cause that should be reasonably priced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or would the 800 do fine with 27 this is the first big 4wheeler I’ve had so I’ve don’t really know what I need to do with it tire wise I plan on doing a lot of trail and mud riding

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
Ok so for me I like 26" all around works well. Good clearance for rocks, roots, and ruts. My tire of choice Maxxis Bighorn 2.0s work well in mud and deep 16" snow. Also the machine isn't to high off the ground so it articulates the steep stuff nicely. So the question for you is how steep of climbs will you do and how deep of mud will you hit??? That'll determine how tall you want to go. Deeper mud most of the time 28" tire. Get into some sketchy off camber steep climbs and descends then 26". So depending on you riding conditions you'll have to decide on a tire in the range of 26"-28".

·
10,387 Posts
I'm running 4+3 offset rims with 9" wide tires on my 2006 800 and have about 1/2" + clearance.
Here's a pretty good video explaining offset.
A also depends some on tire style and brand too. The more I think about it, that negative -10.2 offset might actually work with 10" wide but as I said it will be close. For the 8" wide rims you're looking at that would come to around 3.5+4.5 offset and then a 1" wider (each side) tire from stock so they may fit fine.
If you search there are some guys on here that are running 10" all around but I don't remember what they did to get there unless it was spacers.
Let us know what you do and how it works.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would a 27-8x12 and 27-10x12 work on the stock wheels cause if they will that will save me a lot of money and my girl friend hopefully won’t shoot me and the atv

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
8" fronts will work on stock rims. Like polman said typically 26" and bigger 9" is as skinny as they get.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts