Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can guide me on a problem I'm having.

Short version: fans runs all the time, overheat indicator is on, even when cold.

Long version:

I have a 2006 Trail Boss 330. Low usage, just run it around my property as a utility vehicle. Usually only for a couple of minutes at a time and then it's turned off.

The other day, the overheat indicator came on. I wasn't expecting that. Brought the quad back to the shed and turned it off. Fan kept running - I figured that's OK, it needs to cool down.

Well, that drained the battery. I ended up with a new battery and charger (it was time to replace/charge the battery anyway - not enough juice left for electric start).

I replaced the battery but when I connected it, the fan started going. Note, the engine is cold - it's been sitting a couple of weeks. So, I disconnected the fan to prevent the battery from running down again.

When I turn the ignition to start, the overheat indicator comes on and stays on.

I ran the quad for a few minutes and parked it. The engine was of course hot to the touch. Can't tell if it was hotter than it should be because I never checked before the problem started.

So, any advice for the computer geek who isn't afraid to work on his own stuff (OK, maybe I'm foolish too!). I don't know where to look, what to start with, but you may!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
563 Posts
The ECT( Engine Coolant Temp.) sensor can cause the fan to run constantly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hopefully someone can guide me on a problem I'm having.

Short version: fans runs all the time, overheat indicator is on, even when cold.

Long version:

I have a 2006 Trail Boss 330. Low usage, just run it around my property as a utility vehicle. Usually only for a couple of minutes at a time and then it's turned off.

The other day, the overheat indicator came on. I wasn't expecting that. Brought the quad back to the shed and turned it off. Fan kept running - I figured that's OK, it needs to cool down.

Well, that drained the battery. I ended up with a new battery and charger (it was time to replace/charge the battery anyway - not enough juice left for electric start).

I replaced the battery but when I connected it, the fan started going. Note, the engine is cold - it's been sitting a couple of weeks. So, I disconnected the fan to prevent the battery from running down again.

When I turn the ignition to start, the overheat indicator comes on and stays on.

I ran the quad for a few minutes and parked it. The engine was of course hot to the touch. Can't tell if it was hotter than it should be because I never checked before the problem started.

So, any advice for the computer geek who isn't afraid to work on his own stuff (OK, maybe I'm foolish too!). I don't know where to look, what to start with, but you may!

Thanks!
Mine is doing the same thing plus it won’t go over 2000 RPM’s
Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
The fan issue is a bad controller module (part number 4011088) the RPM issue might be a faulty reverse speed limiter - you can test the speed limiter two ways; first way - hold the reverse override button in - if it runs normally with the button held in the limiter is faulty or thinks it's in reverse all the time. Second way to check the limiter is to unplug the black wire from the limiter to disable it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fan issue is a bad controller module (part number 4011088) the RPM issue might be a faulty reverse speed limiter - you can test the speed limiter two ways; first way - hold the reverse override button in - if it runs normally with the button held in the limiter is faulty or thinks it's in reverse all the time. Second way to check the limiter is to unplug the black wire from the limiter to disable it.
I’ve tried the button. I’ll pull the black wire now. Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve tried the button. I’ll pull the black wire now. Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is two different harnesses that go into the override switch but none of the wires are black. There’s a red and black. Also tried to disconnect the rev limiter box and it did the same thing

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
If disabling the reverse limiter did not help, then the problem is probably in the carb, but don't discount a restriction in the intake or exhaust as a potential problem.

Why don't you start a new thread and provide the details of YOUR problem instead of hitchhiking an old thread? Your symptoms may seem similar, but it is a problem unique to your vehicle. No two problems are identical even if the symptoms are similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts