Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Sportsman 800X2 that I purchased new. Went out to start it today and the battery is dead. Battery is 5 months old, but I haven't rode in about 2 months. Get battery up to full charge and put back in and turn the key. I don't hear the normal sound of the fuel pump priming. Engine turns over but absolutely no fire. Start looking around the forum, and try a couple of the tests. Checked continuity at the plug under the headlight pod, and it is fine.Turned key on while pressing the override button and the voltage on the diagnostics is showing 4.5.
Get my voltmeter and battery is at 12.6 volts.
I tried swapping the relays under the headlight with no luck. I am at the end of my rope. I do not have a Polaris dealer close by, and have looked over the Troubleshooting 2006 Sportsman 700 thread, but not sure if the 2007 800 is a different animal.
All I know is the noise it used to make before the key was turned all the way is now gone, and the battery seems fine. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bruce!
Update, I read in the service manual to check the voltage on the plug by the head light and it should read between 7 and 14 when the key is turned on. Mine read 4.3Vdc.
The manual says if it is below 7vdc, test the battery, ignition switch, wiring harness, load-shed relay, and then ECU.
My battery shows 12.4 volts on my multimeter, but I am only getting 4.3 on the plug and the speedo shows the same in diagnostic mode. Should I just buy a new battery? This one is a AGM battery that is a couple months old. Is it possible that there is a surface charge of 12.4 volts? I have no idea how it is going to 4.3 volts at the plug.
I had jumper cables on it earlier from my lawn tractor and tried to start it. It turned over good but I never did hear the fuel pump kick in. With jumpers on it shouldn't the voltage go up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked all fuses and they are good. Does anybody know if you can just replace the pump without replacing the regulator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my new Carter fuel pump, installed it and replaced the red and black wires exactly how they came off. Red on the right, and black on the left. I can hear the pump power up and I put some gas in and turned it over. No fire.
Checked the schrader valve on the fuel line after cycling the key on and off several times, and just a drop came out. I was wondering why one of the spade connectors on the pump was larger than the other and looked in the short instruction list. It said the larger spade connector is positive. This is the one I attached the black wire to. Is the red wire the positive wire and the black negative? Did Carter reverse the spade connectors? Is there a way to check with a multi meter to see which one is positive?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since I didn't have any of the parts put back on I pulled the tank and pulled out the pump partially and swapped the wires. Fired right off and runs great. Put all the plastic back on and took it out for a quick test ride. Runs like new. This forum saved me over $500!
I bought the Carter pump from Napa, and I noticed that it is very, very quiet. When you turn the key on and you hear the pump noise, that is almost non existent on the Carter.
I am going to fill the tank with fresh gas and run some Sea-Foam through it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts