Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that when I slow down in AWD there is a grinding sound, seems like it is from the front end. It does not do it in 2wd or while accelerating. I brought to dealer yesterday, and they contacted Polaris and was told it is probably the clutches in the ADC. they said if this was right it would be about $900 in parts. They are going to see if it is possible to just try to make the ADC inoperable by cutting a wire to it to see if this would stop the grinding. I would rather have $1000 then the ADC. Any other suggestions on what it may be or how to fix.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i have owned a 2008 800 sportsmen and a 2009 sportsmen xp the adc on both made a grinding sound. this I believe this comes from not being used , I noticed if I used it for a while going up and down hills it got better. it should only do this in adc . mine machines dont grind in regular 4 wd. try using it more before you spend a 1000 and see if it gets better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Were the clutches the issue on this? I'm having the same problem on my '07 800 at the moment. I definitely do not believe it's from lack of use but I have torn apart my front diff and the clutch packs look fine.

If anyone can shed some light on this it'd be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Have you changed the front diff fluid?
I fear the OP long gone... (His last post was Aug 2009)
But I AGREE, (I add this for future people searching the topic) this is a KNOWN ISSUE and its caused by clutch debris contaminating the fluid. Flush and refill and repeat. This will fix the majority of issues with the ADC. This unit needs regular changing of this fluid to keep it working quietly and effectively.

Look at it this way... Its CHEAP. Its pretty easy and best yet, FAR CHEAPER than a new unit! Don't let the dealer tell you it needs a new unit before trying this!!!
In other words, ITS WORTH A SHOT!!! ;)

CW

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine was making chattering noises when slowing down. I changed the fluid and drove it around for an hour then drained and refilled again. It was fine for about one day of riding now it is chattering again. I don't need ADC in Florida so I'm thinking about the wire cutting fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 800 sportsman that I think has this adc problem. I was wanting some clarity on the noise it makes. Mine sounds like certain destruction of something when slowing down with awd on. Its a loud popping noise that slows down as the atv slows down. It sounds like something stripping out or a chain slipping on a sprocket. I also noticed that if I push the atv forward after it comes to a stop it will make the same popping noise and you can watch the front axles jump when it pops. Is the adc clutches my problem or something else?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have an 07 800 sportsman that I think has this adc problem. I was wanting some clarity on the noise it makes. Mine sounds like certain destruction of something when slowing down with awd on. Its a loud popping noise that slows down as the atv slows down. It sounds like something stripping out or a chain slipping on a sprocket. I also noticed that if I push the atv forward after it comes to a stop it will make the same popping noise and you can watch the front axles jump when it pops. Is the adc clutches my problem or something else?
Morning and WELCOME!

You will get more answers if you start your own thread on the problems. But YES the noises sound FAR worse than could possibly be fixed with simply changing out fluids. BUT try changing them out with at least once flushing the case. (Sacrifice the oil and drive around to circulate and rinse off the clutch debris) Then refill and try it out. BUT be sure you have flushed to thoroughly or it will be back! Then change it out regularly.

CW

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the exact same issue. I had a torn inner front boot that I replaced last night and the CV joint was fine(I thought it may have been the culprit), but once I took it out on a shakedown run it will not chatter unless I am going under 15mph or so. Also while slowing down if I take it out of AWD it goes away at the click of the switch.

To change the ADC fluid, do you need a cyphoning tool or is there a drain plug? I am new to 4 wheelers, not mechanics. Just wondering if this would be an easy thing to drain and flush while out on the trail to ensure it is flushed thoroughly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts