Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello My name is Col I live in Cairns Australia Im 58 years young.

I am rebuilding a 2007 polaris Hawkeye 300, i almost have it complete with a few issues. I want to know if I need a battery if I have a pull start. I cannot get a sprk I have a new spark plug, stator, solenoid, arrestor and cdi just no battery yet. I thought I should get spark without battery. So please enlighten me someone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems odd, if your stuck out bush and battery goes dead the pull start is useless. So pull start only required if starter motor fails

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Yes - it was an industry change - EFI is unreliable without a battery at this time (ask the motocross riders) so if the industry is going to become 100% fuel injection, they might as well make the ignition DC also - one is useless without the other. So, the industry is moving toward EFI and carburetors are being phased out.

A friend of mine bought one of the first CRF450's with fuel injection - a few months after he got it, he was woods riding with me (and others) - a mile or two into the woods, his bike suddenly quit running - we did the simple checks (spark, fuel in the tank, compression felt good as compared to other bikes in the group) so we tried bump starting it by rolling it down a long somewhat steep hill, engine spun over but never a shot, not even a backfire. We towed him back to the parking area and tried some more things. Had the seat and fuel tank off, found if we sprayed starting fluid on the air filter it would start briefly. Honda was thoughtful enough to provide a pigtail so the fuel pump could be powered on with a battery. We powered up the fuel pump and it ran, but the engine still would not start.

He got it to the Honda shop where he bought it and they checked it out - the bike was new enough the shop had not gotten the diagnostic tools necessary to properly troubleshoot it. They summarized the problem to be the ECU, but could not prove it - they told the owner to buy a new ECU and they would try it (ECU was over $500 and since it was a race bike, there was no warranty) - he asked why they couldn't take parts off another new unit (they had one on the showroom floor) and find out what it was going to take to fix it - they said it was forbidden by Honda (that was BS and your warranty is only as good as your dealer).

After several months, he got it to a different dealer who had the diagnostic tools - they installed a new $400 fuel pump and his bike ran again.

So, the manufacturer has enough confidence in the electronics and the diligence of the owner to maintain the vehicle as directed in the owners manual, that the battery powered CDI will not fail unless the owner fails to return the vehicle to the dealer for scheduled maintenance.

The claim is DC CDI provides a stronger more reliable spark than AC CDI and will operate to battery voltage as low as 6.5 volts. Now a battery in good condition will recover somewhat from a deep discharge when the load is removed. Therefore, if the charging system fails and the battery goes dead, wait 15 to 20 minutes and the battery voltage will rise enough to recoil start the engine and without using lights and other accessories, perhaps power the CDI long enough to get you back to your starting point (might take a couple of rest stops to get there) and then take the vehicle to the dealer for service (in the Polaris scenario, all malfunctions will result in the return of the vehicle to the dealer for service).

Now, Chinese electronics on ATV's leaves much to be desired. They are exceedingly cheap (CDI boxes $20 or less, stators $45 or less and coils $10 or less) and not as vibration, heat and water resistant as they should be. Other than that, they are relatively trouble free and dependable. Switches and wiring connectors are more troublesome than other components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was very informative thank you very much for your time, I have just bought a new battery so we will see how it all goes. Fingers x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts