Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 Hawkeye clutch - runs but clutch shaft not turning

hello all, looking for some assistance with a 2007 Hawkeye. the engine is running great, however the clutch shaft is not turning. i can manually turn it. in one direction it turns freely and in the other i can feel it turning the engine over. The other issue I'm having is that the nut to remove the clutch will not budge. i am going to borrow a 3/4 drive impact and see if that will get it off. Any ideas what is wrong with this machine and why it will not drive?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Not really following what your issue is. Left side of the engine under the belt cover are the 2 clutches. The front one is bolted to the end of the crankshaft and turns when the engine is running. The back one is connected to the transmission and there should be a belt between them. Both clutches are held in place with a long bolt. 5/8" socket on the primary, 1/2" on the secondary. Neither should take a 3/4 impact to get them off.

How about a photo to help with the diagnosis?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I see the Hawkeye is different than most of the other machines. My mistake there. I only have parts diagrams that are broken up by major assemblies so I don't have a diagram of how everything fits together. Looking at the parts diagram there is a clutch inside that clutch shaft housing. Appears to be a weighted centrifugal clutch that grips a drum on the inside end of the clutch shaft. Guessing that something is either stuck or worn out in there.

Is the primary clutch attached to the clutch shaft?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here's a thought. If this machine does have a "wet clutch" like a yamaha, artcic cat, whatever, what Kind of oil are you using? Is it a wet clutch compatible oil? If it's not, the friction modifiers and whatnot in a regular automotive oil will ruin a wet clutch in a second. Just food for thought.

·
12,260 Posts
Here's a thought. If this machine does have a "wet clutch" like a yamaha, artcic cat, whatever, what Kind of oil are you using? Is it a wet clutch compatible oil? If it's not, the friction modifiers and whatnot in a regular automotive oil will ruin a wet clutch in a second. Just food for thought.
Yep, sounds like something wrong with the engine clutch if the shaft not moving.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
2007 Hawkeye clutch - runs but clutch shaft not turning

hello all, looking for some assistance with a 2007 Hawkeye. the engine is running great, however the clutch shaft is not turning. i can manually turn it. in one direction it turns freely and in the other i can feel it turning the engine over. The other issue I'm having is that the nut to remove the clutch will not budge. i am going to borrow a 3/4 drive impact and see if that will get it off. Any ideas what is wrong with this machine and why it will not drive?

Thx.
Good morning . did you ever figure out the issue with hawkeye clutch ? i have the very same problem ., I hope its not the one way or centrifical clutch
Please le tme know

Thu

Lou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts