Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im helping a kid work on his polaris outlaw 525 with his cooling fan not kicking on.

I have removed the fan and tested it which it does work. I
Decided to check the tempature sensor in the radiator as well. First I
bypassed the plug (3 wire) and it turned on the fan. Good news.

I put the sensor in some boiling water and from what i could tell, it did what it was suppose to which is once it was hot, the ohms went down which should then pass the current.

The radiator is getting up to 210* which the temp sensor should have kicked the fan on but isnt.

Do you guys think the sensor is still bad?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Sorry - had trouble finding the service manual

The circuit is basic - the red/blk wire at the fan should have 12 volts on it when the key is on - if there is no voltage present on the r/b wire when the key is on, check the 10 amp fuse in the fuse box. If there is voltage on the r/b wire at the fan, unplug the three wire connector at the fan switch (brown, brown, dark blue with white stripe) - use a jumper wire to short between the two brown terminals - if the fan runs when the two brown wires are connected, replace the thermo switch, if the fan does not run, there is a faulty ground - to determine a ground problem, jump between the neg terminal of the battery and each brown wire - the brown wire that turns the fan on is fine and it's the other brown wire that has lost continuity.

Let me know where this gets you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - had trouble finding the service manual

The circuit is basic - the red/blk wire at the fan should have 12 volts on it when the key is on - if there is no voltage present on the r/b wire when the key is on, check the 10 amp fuse in the fuse box. If there is voltage on the r/b wire at the fan, unplug the three wire connector at the fan switch (brown, brown, dark blue with white stripe) - use a jumper wire to short between the two brown terminals - if the fan runs when the two brown wires are connected, replace the thermo switch, if the fan does not run, there is a faulty ground - to determine a ground problem, jump between the neg terminal of the battery and each brown wire - the brown wire that turns the fan on is fine and it's the other brown wire that has lost continuity.

Let me know where this gets you
I havent checked if there is voltage at the plug where the fan is plugged in when the key is on.
When the quad is on, I did unplug the plug from the temp sensor and jumped the 2 brown terminals and the fan did come on.

So does that tell me that the temp sensor on the radiator is bad?

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Yes - if the fan runs when the two brown wires are connected at the temp sensor plug, replace the sensor
Do you know at what temp the temp sensor should kick on the fan? I assume about 180* right?
Fan typically turns on (5°-10°)F higher then the t-stat opens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts