Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all!

I have a 07 Sportsman 450 that randomly shows the flashing battery symbol.

I grabbed the volt meter and measured at the battery. At idle the voltage is 12.4-13. When I rev it up it can go as high as 18 volts.

I am assuming I need a new regulator.....Am I correct?

Suggestions on where to get one?

Thanks all!
Steve

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
In high voltage situations you can be almost certain the reg is bad. I'd replace it.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Chk out RMStator and Ricks Motorsport Electrics. Those are my go to your es for electric components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So RMStator wants me to measure my regulator to see if their universal fits. For the life of me I can not find it on the ATV. I've pulled all the front plastic, checked near the rad where the 500's supposedly have theirs. Anyone have a suggestion of where to look?

·
Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
I wonder what possessed the educated idiot who decided to incorporate the rectifier/regulator into a single unit along with the fan control and other functions other than solid state is supposed to be more resistant to the elements, vibration and damage from over enthusiastic owners who want to repair minor problems. The old 'stack' rectifiers of the 60's and 70's are still out there functioning like new and the Zener diode regulation on my 68 Triumph keeps the battery from being overcharged with a single wire and an attachment to a heat sink. NEW is not always better.

BTW, how much gasoline can you buy for $68,000 (the appx. cost of a new electric vehicle)? If the cost of gas was stable at $5 per gallon and your vehicle gets 25 mpg, you could buy 3 million 400 thousand miles worth of gas.

I could rant on this for quite awhile, but don't just look at the initial cost, consider the maintenance cost also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Latebird. Did you find a solution for your voltage regulator problem? I had exactly the same situation, and wired in a motorcycle regulator to bypass the function on the SurePower module. Let me know if you want 'the recipe'.

·
Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
Hello Latebird. Did you find a solution for your voltage regulator problem? I had exactly the same situation, and wired in a motorcycle regulator to bypass the function on the SurePower module. Let me know if you want 'the recipe'.
Thanks, but it was not my problem. I have a degree in electronics and have wired an external rec/reg on a few units where the rest of the module continued to function as designed and only the rec/reg section had failed. I'm sure your recipe matches mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts