Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've got a 2007 sportsman 500 EFI I'm helping a friend with. It's been to a dealer before, they had it for months, changed various things and the problem still persists. It doesn't run right after it gets warm. Cold, it starts up and runs fine across throttle ranges. As it warms up it no longer idles right and eventually dies and won't start anymore. Lots of cranking will sometimes get it to start again and it'll run ok as long as you don't let the rpm get low. There appears to be fuel pressure, air filter is clear, and there is spark.

I'm getting codes 44 and 47 from watching the check engine light blink after doing the key on/off sequence. Initially I suspected the IAC and was messing around with disconnecting it - so that possibly may be where 47 came from. The IAC appears to me to be working, it adjusts in and out smoothly and reacts to rpm changes when idling.

From what I can see on this forum code 44 looks a "CPS circuit" issue? Not sure what that means, I do not see a cam or crank position sensor anywhere obvious. While it was warm and wouldn't start, I watched the spark while cranking and it looks irregular at times. That's not a super scientific approach I know, but pretty much everything else has been tried on this thing. What keeps the injector and spark in sync on these engines? Is it in the stator?

Any additional info on code 44 or ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
There is no 'sync-ing' of the injector to the spark - in essence, the injector sprays a continuous cone of fuel into the air stream - the ECM adjusts how open the injector is based on engine RPM and throttle position (opening) - the CPS is the pulse coil for the ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so what would a CPS fault suggest? Something with the coil or associated wiring? I thought CPS is crank position sensor? The ECU must get some signal to fire the spark at the correct time...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would you look for if you're getting code 44? Is the CPS a discreet sensor or is it built into the stator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: the sticker says date of manufacture is March 2006, so I guess that makes it a 2006 model? I found the service manual for a 2007 and did the trouble shooting steps for the CPS. Resistance was 216 ohms at the ECM and the sensor visibly looks ok and clean. How do you erase the codes? I had the battery disconnected a long time and they're still there? Anyway, the engine usually runs fine until it gets hot. Do those sensors typically fail at temperature or am I chasing the wrong thing?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
the sticker says date of manufacture is March 2006, so I guess that makes it a 2006 model?
Maybe - the VIN will be the judge as to the year of manufacture - if the 10th digit is a 6, then it's a 2006 model - regardless, there was basically no change between 06 and 07 - I have both manuals and the page describing the CPS is identical in both.

You need to read the service manual if you intend to service the vehicle; here's some pages for your reading enjoyment.

Code 44 could indicate a wiring problem, a part failure or a program malfunction - all you need to do is plug it in to Digital Wrench and run the diagnostics and based on the best WAG or experience of the technician, flash the ECM or replace a part. Note, it is possible for a faulty TPS to trigger a CPS blink code and if the codes do not reset when the battery is disconnected, one of two possibilities that I can think of exist - either the fault is sensed immediately upon initialization of the circuit (turning the key on causes the fault to be registered) or the ECM is faulty.

The technician at the friendly Polaris dealership will advise based on the diagnostic reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts