Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2007 Predator 50 in very good condition for my son.
The only “known” issues were front bumper was smashed up real good (new one installed) and a “dead battery”. Well I just installed a brand new battery that was properly trickle charged, hit the key and I’ve got no sign of life at all.
No horn, no lights, no start no nothing.
Key is in on position, in run position, handle bar mount tether in place, left brake pulled in and nothing.
Curious if you guys might be able to help out.
Not electrical savvy at all.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Near the battery is an inline fuse - check the fuse - if the fuse is good, check for 12v on the green wire at the tether switch with the key switch in the on position - if 12v on the green wire, check for 12v on the blk/wht wires at the CDI box (one on each plug for the CDI box) - if all good, then you need to check the ground side of the circuits.

The Chinese break both the hot and ground circuits with the key switch just to be different.

With the key switch on and the battery disconnected, check the brown wire for continuity to ground - if the brown wire (ground) is not grounded; the brake levers (brake light) will not work - if the brake light will not light, the starter solenoid will not close - the brn wire also grounds the CDI box - no ground = no spark - finally, no ground on the brown wire, the horn will not work.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million gents!
Bird always coming in like a rockstar!
I appreciate the time you took while providing your in depth insight!
Before I do all of this, I have some new developments that may shed some light on the issue.
After loading the quad up last night to take and have it looked at, I noticed the key in the bike is a BRP key. Struck me as very odd so I called my local Polaris shop and asked if there were any years that BRP and Polaris shared ignition switches and as I guessed, this bike should not have a BRP key in it. Furthermore a BRP key should not be able to turn the barrel of a Polaris switch and it does with ease.
The part that has me somewhat confused is the key not only “feels” right when I turn it but there are no splice marks in the plug as if someone tried to use a BRP ignition on this predator quad. The only thing I can think is that they took a blank BRP key and had it cut but to do this they’d need the OG key and if they had that, why would they need another one...?
In any event, I’ve ordered up a new switch to be sure what I have is right at least.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed new switch and I’ve still got nothing.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Have you done the continuity and voltage checks that I described? What do you have power to and where do you lose it?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery tester on 12V selection is only showing 5V.
Positive feed to the fuse showing 2V and positive feed leaving fuse showing 2V.
This battery is brand new and charger showing it is fully charged.
Do I have a bad battery?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I would say you have a bad battery - what kind is it, where did you get it and what kind of battery charger did you charge it with?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a Champion battery purchased from PepBoys.
I purchased a new battery today and it fired right up.
Thanks for all the insight gents. Rocking and rolling now.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The charge was completed with a Battery Tender 12V 750mA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts