Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During a recent ride the machine got too hot and shut down. It restarted after letting it cool down but the fan doesn't come on and it will overheat in 20 minutes at idle. I inspected all the wiring and can't find a problem but did notice when I tapped on the fan motor it did turn on briefly then just stops again. Is it likely the whole fan assembly needs to be replaced? The dealer wants $248 for a new one. I want to be sure I'm not missing another possible cause before I buy a new fan assembly. Ideas?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
During a recent ride the machine got too hot and shut down. It restarted after letting it cool down but the fan doesn't come on and it will overheat in 20 minutes at idle. I inspected all the wiring and can't find a problem but did notice when I tapped on the fan motor it did turn on briefly then just stops again. Is it likely the whole fan assembly needs to be replaced? The dealer wants $248 for a new one. I want to be sure I'm not missing another possible cause before I buy a new fan assembly. Ideas?

Coolant temp sensor??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HELP!!! now I'm confused. I disconected the temp sensor on the left side of the motor and the fan did not come on. So I took the fan assbly out of the machine and jumped it and it worked sporatically, I took the fan assembly apart so I just had the motor in my hand and jumped it and it ran like a banshee. then I plugged the fan motor back in and turned thE machine on and disconnected the sensor on the left side of the motor and it ran just fine until I plugged the sensor back in it stopped as it should. Everything I've read says there is a "fan switch" on the radiator, THERE IS NOT! There is however, a rectangular metal block with fins on it attached to the radiator mount but not to the radiator. It's about 5" long and 2" square and wires connected to either end. I also heard there's a relay somewhere but have no idea where it would be or what it looks like. Any thought or advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
608 Posts
sounds like a bad fan motor, it cant handle the added strain of spinning the fan. when you have the motor in your hand, see how hard it is to stop the motor from spinning.

i wonder if you could have it rebuilt or do it yourself. A shop that rebuilds alternators, and starters may be able to do it. just a thought. maybe they could comeup with a replacement motor if needed. might be cheaper, instead of the polaris replacement

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cableguy, thanks for the post. Good idea about seeing if the fan motor has enough power to rotate the fan efficiently. I'll check it out and respond.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can order the same fan direct from Spal for around $85.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
That diffenatly sounds like a weak motor. I see that all the time on the small motors in heating and A/C units. It will spin unloaded or if you help it but not with load on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BOUGHT A NEW FAN ASSEMBLY AND TEMP SENSOR. Will see how she runs. The fan made too much racket anyhow and was leaking lube so figured it needed replacement anyhow, the sensor was $36 so got one as well.

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS FOLKS!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did the new fan assembly and temp sensor do the trick? My 2007 is doing the same thing and I cannot find the breaker either.

·
Registered
409 Posts
the racket was probably caused by the bad bearings, this was its warning to you that it was going bad.
Glad I read this post, mine has been making a funny noise for awhile now.
It cycles with no problem as of yet. Huh, hope I didn't jinx myself now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts