Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got married my wife had an '07 Sportsman 4x4 that she was letting her brother use. When we got it back from him it would not start and seemed to have no power. I can fix the basics like changing the battery etc. A friend of a friend came to help me out. After changing the battery and checking the solenoid he told me he thinks it is the computer that is the problem. He said he would take care of it but it never got fixed. From what I'm reading on here it seems others have had a lot of the same problems and it's either the ECM or the PCM. I would like to do the work myself mostly for money reasons but partly because I want to learn. Can anyone give me a simple break down on how to tell which may be causing the problems. Or is just easier to pay $50 and hour plus parts and tax just to have it fixed by a Polaris dealer?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
11,155 Posts
Electrical gremlins can be a real PIA to track down but persistence and a methodical approach to tracking it down is the key to success. The best way I can describe it is to use a step by step process of elimination to find what is NOT the problem and you will eventually narrow it down to what actually IS wrong. Just guessing and slapping parts on is hit or miss at best.

First of all, you'll need a digital meter for testing. It doesn't have to be an expensive one.
Your post indicates that you have installed a new battery.
Is it fully charged?
If so, describe in detail what the machine does or don't do and what you have checked and tried.
Always start with the easy stuff first...Is the kill switch in the ON position? Are all the connections clean and tight? Does the key switch energize the speedo and tail lights when turned on? Will the headlights turn on? Can you jump the solenoid and get it to crank?....If not, will it crank when you jump power directly to the starter?....etc. etc.
The guys on hear are pretty good at helping guide you to what to look for and try next once you have started your process of elimination.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts