Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
You are correct - my vision is not as good it used to be and I got off tracing the wires - I should have paid more attention to the numbers - wire 84 is hot 24/7 - I confused wire 84 for wire 90 when I was tracing the diagram

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I cut the RD/BK on pin S and measured the voltage coming out, 7.77VDC with the switch on. I jumped the other end of the RD/BK wire I cut to 12VDC and tried to start, no go. I cut the black wire going to the ECU, no start. About to solder it all back together and sell this thing for parts..........

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
I cut the RD/BK on pin S and measured the voltage coming out, 7.77VDC with the switch on. I jumped the other end of the RD/BK wire I cut to 12VDC and tried to start, no go. I cut the black wire going to the ECU, no start. About to solder it all back together and sell this thing for parts..........
Might as well - if you are not willing to spend the money to have someone with the tools to fix it, then you will be better off without it. If I buy an airplane, I will not try to fix it myself and I sure would not take it to a lawn mower shop for repair. You bought the fuel injection technology, but are unwilling to have a fuel injection technician work on it. Do you fix your own computer or smart phone? You gave it your best shot now get rid of it and get something with a carburetor that a monkey can diddle with. Sorry, I am having as bad day. I get frustrated just like everyone else and your frustration just exacerbated my frustration.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,203 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,203 Posts
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning! Tomorrow won't be any better when you look out the window at 6+ inches of wet heavy snow!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
latebird I do fix my own computer, smart phone, TV, vehicles, ATVs, motorcycles, tractors, chainsaws, everything........I do know that other people know more about things I do not deal with on a daily basis. So I took your advice and took it to a local and reputable ATV repair shop. Diagnosis?.....BAD ECU. What I should have done was pulled the ECU out to closely look at it, then I would have heard that something significant inside has come loose and is rattling around in the ECU like a fishing lure.

So, has anyone ever taken an ECU apart? It does not look easy, I am guessing a component inside came unsoldered.
I will likely buy a new ECU, I understand I will have to get it programmed. I will post what happens to hopefully help someone else out in the future..........

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Well, you might be a pay grade above me in a couple of fields - while I might fix my computer and do my own network IT, I don't screw with phones, but I can weld and build bombs. Make an explosive with 2 ingredients or a high explosive with 3 - I have bookkeeping and machinist skills, can cook and sew, but I'll be damned if I can lay brick. We all have our abilities and talents, but I only fixed one CDI (not quite an ECU) on an old Yamaha dirt bike that water had corroded a diode off of.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts