Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Runs perfect when it's cold 50 degrees or below. Over 50 degrees won't idle well and bogs badly when throttled up then will backfire some. Getting progressively worse.

The foil on the bottom of the fuel tank is pretty rough. Could there be a vapor lock?

So I'm thinking of replacing the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor and the Intake Air Temp. (IAT) sensor. Will insure the wiring is good. What are the odds of the problem being something else?

When looking at the on-line OEM parts the MAP sensor seems to be referred to as a ASM sensor. What does ASM mean? Can't find a ASM sensor anywhere in the 2007 Polaris 500 Service Manuel. Am I looking at the wrong part? On-Line OEM parts Engine Fuel Injection # 10.

Appreciate your input and thanks in advance Need to get this thing running.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I would test the sensors before changing them. Also are there any codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.
Checked the codes and there are none. Backed it out of the shop this morning and it started sputtering and missing. Ran up to the barn and bogging bad so now for the first time it is doing it cold so maybe not a air temp or pressure thing. Now I'm going to test the fuel pump pressure. That pump in it is only 4 years old or so. Micky Moused a after market fuel pump into the stock tank when the original went bad so there could be an issue with it.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
8,935 Posts
Runs perfect when it's cold 50 degrees or below. Over 50 degrees won't idle well and bogs badly when throttled up then will backfire some. Getting progressively worse.

The foil on the bottom of the fuel tank is pretty rough. Could there be a vapor lock?

So I'm thinking of replacing the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor and the Intake Air Temp. (IAT) sensor. Will insure the wiring is good. What are the odds of the problem being something else?

When looking at the on-line OEM parts the MAP sensor seems to be referred to as a ASM sensor. What does ASM mean? Can't find a ASM sensor anywhere in the 2007 Polaris 500 Service Manuel. Am I looking at the wrong part? On-Line OEM parts Engine Fuel Injection # 10.

Appreciate your input and thanks in advance Need to get this thing running.
There is no MAP listed. Polaris simply calls it an air pressure sensor #10
# 9 is the grommet it mounts in.
#11 is the screw/washer asm (assembly)
ASM = Assembly in all Polaris schematics and parts lists (a group of two or more parts sold together as one unit)
If the sensor, grommet, screw, washer etc. were all listed together as one unit it would be called a sensor Asm. (assembly)

1 3084877 Bolt, Flange 2 USAGE
2 3089901 Bracket 1 USAGE
3 3089900 Pipe, Fuel Delivery Complete 1 USAGE
4 3088135 Bolt, Flange 1 USAGE
5 3089899 O-Ring 1 USAGE
6 3089896 Grommet 1 USAGE
7 3089893 Asm., Injector 1 USAGE
8 3089894 Seal, Fuel Injector 1 USAGE
9 3089902 Grommet 1 USAGE
10 3089895 Sensor, Air Pressure 1 USAGE
11 3089904 Asm., Screw/Washer 1 USAGE
12 3089903 Clip

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. I contacted Polaris and the MAP sensor in the service manual is the ASM #10 shown in the drawing. I'm stumped as to what the problem is with this thing. Gonna test the fuel pump pressure this morning.

·
8,935 Posts
Thanks for that. I contacted Polaris and the MAP sensor in the service manual is the ASM #10 shown in the drawing. I'm stumped as to what the problem is with this thing. Gonna test the fuel pump pressure this morning.
Fuel pressure would be the first thing I'd check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had time to tear that quad down far enough to test the fuel pump. Had to Micky Mouse a gauge but it works. Only getting 18 psi so ordered another pump. That old pump only lasted 4 years. It's a Carter P72118 pump but they work.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
What do guy's think is causing these fuel pumps to go out? Could it be just the nature of the pump being built to only last so long or could it be like the in tank fuel pump in a car/truck to were I've heard that actually the gas keeps the pump cool? Some people may be running their gas down to empty or nearly empty before they fill up.

In my vehicles I try my best to fill up no lower than 1/4 tank.

Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the pump out of the tank today, will have the replacement Monday. When emptying the gas out of the tank it was very dark almost black. Do these tanks deteriorate?. Always very careful with the gas going in and it rarely gets below 1/2 tank. Will replace the filter also and check the pressure with the new pump. If low will order a regulator. Then if it does not run will go back to the MAP idea ha ha.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Pulled the pump out of the tank today, will have the replacement Monday. When emptying the gas out of the tank it was very dark almost black. Do these tanks deteriorate?. Always very careful with the gas going in and it rarely gets below 1/2 tank. Will replace the filter also and check the pressure with the new pump. If low will order a regulator. Then if it does not run will go back to the MAP idea ha ha.
Kind of weird the gas being black that you pulled out,but just yesterday me and a mechanic buddy on my 08 500 EFI drained the gas tank and it was bright yellow, almost looked fluorescent color yellow, I thought that was really weird also. Hoping it was just some kind of fuel additive that previous owner had put in, it smelled like good gas though and not varnish like. Mine is throwing two codes #41 and #47, I may have more problems than just a bad fuel pump going on IDK.

Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took awhile as I ended up getting a pump from Quantum. Got the pump along with new regulator and in line filter installed and it fired right up. It would tach 6000 sitting there while cold. Got the quad where I could ride it and went for a spin. 85 degree day and in less then 10 minutes it would not idle. Then it started crapping out when throttled up basically right back where it was. I re-insulated the tank and such so pretty sure its not a fuel problem. Did not pressure test the new pump but confident it's OK.

So now back to my original thinking it's the MAP (ASM) Sensor or something along those lines. Not getting any bad codes. 1 blink- 2 blinks- 6 blinks- 1 blink that's it. Whats the odds its the wiring and not a sensor? I guess I had better figure out how to test.

Off the subject some but do any of you know the simplest way to disconnect the ADC or jump around it so it won't engage while in 4 WD? This one is starting to clatter all the time when out of the throttle. Have changed the fluid many times and on a regular basis. It has been good up till last year. Any input will be appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the tank back out so I could remove the MAP Sensor. Took the sensor retainer loose and the MAP lifted right out. The rubber grommet that it sets in was broke in half and wore thin. The lower half of the grommet fell into the intake and out of sight damn!!

So now have to pull the intake off the head and hope I can find that piece. It's large enough to create a problem if I just leave it I think. Anyone else ever have such a problem? New MAP Sensor is ordered along with the grommet and a gasket for the intake.

Appreciate any input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts