Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one day tried to start, turned key and no power and would not crank. Battery was fully charged added jumper battery as well still nothing then all of a sudden light go on and it has power and starts and runs fine rest of the day. Next day same thing only took longer for power to come on when key was turned. Could get it to flash when I shook the handlebars but would not stay on. Played with the key, jigle jigle and I could get it to come an and then stay on long enough for it to start and it ran fine and turned on great for the rest of that day. Once it got going problems went away. I replaced ignition switch but did not make any difference. Tried to start again and same problem. Then without the key even in the machine it tried to start all on its own, it cranked until I pulled the battery cable.

I tried again the next day and the power would come on after I turned key and just waited. The powere would flash on and off and after a couple of minutes the lights would stay on and when I turned key it would actually crank half the time and start. I did this over the next week and exactley the same thing happened a dozen times. I took it out again and the same thing only the next day the posere would only flash on then turn off.

I have read of ECM issues similar to this but the dealer where it is now thinks wiring issues and wants to replace the entire wiring harness for $800.

Any suggestions folks?

Keith

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 X2. I don't know exactly how similar it is to yours, but maybe some of what i experienced can help.
After sitting for a couple of months i went to start mine, and the battery was dead. Battery wouldn't hold a charge so i purchased a new one. Once I got a new battery I found out why my original battery died. My taillights would stay on all the time, even with the machine off and key out. I tried unplugging the taillights, and it still drained my battery. So i had to completely unplug the battery. I spent some time on it and figured it might be the Power Distribution module (PDM). (I'm not certain, but I think it contains all the relays, maybe fuses, and voltage regulator. It is different from the ECU) I bought a Clymers Manual, but when it came down to diagnosing electrical problems like this it said that the information wasn't available. So i took it to my polaris dealership, and they concluded it was a bad PDM, and a new one was $200. They said if the PDM didn't fix it they would then look to replace the whole electrical harness. It fixed it enough that it loaded on my truck. When i got home i got intermittent starting, and then finally no starting, no lights or anything. It was sitting outside and i didn't want to push it in the garage, so i decided to put the old pdm back on, since it ran with it even though the lights stayed on. When i went to remove the PDM i noticed that the harness were not connected snugly, and i reconnected them properly, and it fixed my problem. (I paid $75 labor for them to replace a module and they couldn't get it right, I wasn't too happy).

Anyhow, it ran fine for a while, but now i've noticed that the fuel level indicator will flash off on occasion. It still runs fine, but it catches my eye, and I'm thinking it is a signal of another problem that may show up at the wrong time. I'm hoping it is just a loose connection on the fuel sender though.

I would assume your dealer had some sort of test to check your PDM (if your machine has one), but you might ask and make sure. Also you may check for yourself and see if it has a loose connection like mine did.

Sorry for being so long winded, but all i'm also chasing a "ghost" electrical problem as well with no luck, so maybe my experience will shed some light for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, not long winded at all. I also have dealt with battery issues as well. My dealer went strait to replacing the wire haness, I still have not given them the OK to procede, wanted to get more information first. The harness is over $300 and the labor is 5.5 hours and at $80 an hour thats almost $800 and they wont guarantee that this is the "only" problem. I am going to offer to have them spend 2 hours to look for the short in the wiring with a bonus to the guy who finds it and fixes it of $100 cash.

Fun stuff huh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update on repairs, shop replaced wire harness, very expensive as it was fried in 5 places. Likley cause was battery strap failing, battery sliding back and grounding out on exhaust, which happened when it only had 7 hours, a year ago at least, on it and the wiring finally failed. Phantom start was casued by bad stater relay, as shop replaced harness it tried to crank without the key just like before. Machine working fine except for when you try to start quickly it acts like battery is weak and click click click. Retry and it is fine and fires right up. They are working with polaris on this issue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey

We are having the same problem and would like to know if you have had any luck in fixing it. If there were any solutions that you have countered. Please contact me at my email if you have Any luck or suggestions. [email protected] please contact me as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a 07 sportsman 500 and mine was more or less doing the same thing. I jumped on it and turned the key and nothing, no lights no fuel pump, no gadges no nothing. I tried again this time i had lights and everything but when it started to turn over it was like studdering or like there was a bad connection somewhere but it started and ran fine. This went on for a couple of weeks then one day nothing at all I played with the ignition and still nothing I even replaced the ignition new battery, and cleaned the connections and stuff and still the same. To make a long story short i tore the whole thing apart and I wiggled the wire harness and the fuel pump kicked on and off and then the lights. I looked for cuts or anything in the wire harness and I couldnt see anything wrong. Its working now but I dont wanna put it back together without fixing the problem. I have read forums and people are saying its different things about the voltage regulater and such but i dont wanna spend the money on somthing and that not be the problem. Can someone please help me?

thanks
Justin

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
look at wiring from headlight pod to ign switsh and back towards selenoid, usually around steering stem is too tight and pulls wires apart, have to cut the zip ties and get wiring out of harness to find bad spots, also need to remove front plastic and headlight plastic

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, can anyone tell me how to reconnect the selinoid for a 2007 500 Sportsman.

Would really like to avoid frying the 1 I just bought.

Thanks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts