Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2007 Sportsman 800... 39 Hours on it, clean like it just left the showroom floor!

Here's the problem...

When i am slowing down i hear a clicking coming from the transmission (i think). H or L gear...

I checked tran fluid, looks good..

I put up on jack stands, and turned the wheels... when in a gear it makes the noise, but when in neutral it does not... again brings me to conclude the transmission..

I talked with the guy who i bought the machine from... he hasnt done anything to the machine except change the engine oil.

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just pulled off the belt cover to start my investagating...

If i move the secondary cluth by hand side to side... it makes the sound within the transmission... like there is play in it..

so when i am slowing down. it must be making it when the the clutch is disengaging...

doesnt sound any good to me..

·
Registered
52 Posts
trans noise

Hey there,I have an 07 800 and it sounds like a box of marbles when the clutch spools up I've learned it's the nature of the beast.First time I heard it I was down at H MC trails, going down hill the noise was shocking at first but I was with two other 800's and theirs sounded the same.I have 1200 miles and no problems with the trans.The motor on the other hand is a different subject

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you find out on this problem?
I just picked up a 2007 Sportsman 800... 39 Hours on it, clean like it just left the showroom floor!

Here's the problem...

When i am slowing down i hear a clicking coming from the transmission (i think). H or L gear...

I checked tran fluid, looks good..

I put up on jack stands, and turned the wheels... when in a gear it makes the noise, but when in neutral it does not... again brings me to conclude the transmission..

I talked with the guy who i bought the machine from... he hasnt done anything to the machine except change the engine oil.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem happen twice to me on my 07 500 x2. When I would slow down their would be a clicking sound, it appeared to be coming from the transmission. What the dealer found both times was a front pumpkin that went bad. The first pumpkin was bad out of the box. The second one I just got replaced last week after 3000 miles. My dealer went good again. One of the machanic's stated there were some problems with the 07 pumpkins. If you find this to be the problem maybe you can have it fixed for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem

I think I might have the same problem. It sounds like gears grinding when I slow down. I initially thought it had something to do with my completely submerging it
last fall. I was wondering if anyone knew if on the 800(07) X2 whether there is a separate rear gearbox oil from transmission fluid?
After I submerged it, I changed what I thought was the transmission fluid, but now am wondering where you change the rear gearbox fluid at? I also changed the front gearbox oil and the engine oil(multiple times).
I just can only find one drain plug and one fill plug on the back half of my X2 800. My 800 is also an 07

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have documented the same problem in a new member thread. Sounds like the nature of the beast. Imagine trying to sell this with the bottom end sounding like it wants out of its case. What a racket. From what i have found, it does sound like the gears and improper mesh or maybe sloppy tolerances from the factory. Clangity, clangity, clangity. The dealer wasn't much help and was going to turn it into polaris but didn't sound too positive about a fix. Seems polaris doesn't like to open cans of worms that might cost em big time. So i clang and clang and clang down the trail. Hear me? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it is the ADC as mine only does it when in 4WD, if it was the tranny, it would do it all the time. I changed the ADC oil....same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
any others?

Any other 07 800 riders out there with this issue? I have it on mine and it is concerning. I've read several posts that say it's just the nature of the beast...maybe. I bought mine used this spring with 500 miles on it. I just changed the rear transmission fluid last night and was amazed at how dirty/black the fluid was....I'm sure it had never been changed since new. I will be changing it annually now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I kept my fluid changed as I only had very few miles and hours on it when this reared its ugly head, so I am sure it is not a dirty fluid issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts