Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Very new to the online posting scene so apologies in advance if I am out of line here.

I have read a ton of stuff on this subject and special thanks to AKStew for all his headaches and postings!

My problem was similar in my 07 800 Sportsman. I checked the TBAP harness / sensor, ECM, spark plugs and boots (found water at the coil end of one), spark plug change and eventually checked fuel pressure and found it low and not holding residual.
I ordered the Carter pump (which doesn't fit my application very well and required a bunch of mods to the plastic assembly to work). I re-assembled thinking the issues should be fixed - right?

I could hear the pump cycle however it was followed by a slight "whoosh" at pump turn off. I checked the pressure again and found it to be exactly the same issue. Low pressure and no residual hold. Assembly removed again and this time I could see an obvious problem with part of the plastic assembly (not like the simple style AKStew has depicted. Mine is like the pic I have attached).

In any case, the black portion in about the middle of the assembly has a two piece - glued parting line from factory component. Mine had "now" an obvious split and inside I could now see filter media. Seriously....another filter between the pump and the regulator. I have chased this issue for the last couple of months and I believe the new pump caused this weakened seam to finally reveal itself.

More modding and deleted this filter with a bypass of EFI compatible hose and some clamps. Re-assembly of the tank and test pressure.

WHOLLLY COW!!

FUEL PRESSURE and RESIDUAL TO BOOT!!! No bleed off and it holds!!

Start the machine and purring like a kitten just after nursing!

Now....the reason I am posting this info is that I was chasing the TBAP sensor with wild abandon. I had the "code 41" as a logged problem on the self diagnosis. In hind sight, this code was probably thrown during a backfire. The sensor was correct in not liking what is was seeing however after clearing the code, I could not duplicate the code with running it in my shop. I had the luxury of having a buddy with an identical machine and with his running well, we could change components back and forth to confirm fault (or not). The TBAP wiring and sensor in this case was fine.

The back fire (through the intake) was due to a lean condition and with the removal of this internal (failed) filter, I am back baby!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Very new to the online posting scene so apologies in advance if I am out of line here.

I have read a ton of stuff on this subject and special thanks to AKStew for all his headaches and postings!

My problem was similar in my 07 800 Sportsman. I checked the TBAP harness / sensor, ECM, spark plugs and boots (found water at the coil end of one), spark plug change and eventually checked fuel pressure and found it low and not holding residual.
I ordered the Carter pump (which doesn't fit my application very well and required a bunch of mods to the plastic assembly to work). I re-assembled thinking the issues should be fixed - right?

I could hear the pump cycle however it was followed by a slight "whoosh" at pump turn off. I checked the pressure again and found it to be exactly the same issue. Low pressure and no residual hold. Assembly removed again and this time I could see an obvious problem with part of the plastic assembly (not like the simple style AKStew has depicted. Mine is like the pic I have attached).

In any case, the black portion in about the middle of the assembly has a two piece - glued parting line from factory component. Mine had "now" an obvious split and inside I could now see filter media. Seriously....another filter between the pump and the regulator. I have chased this issue for the last couple of months and I believe the new pump caused this weakened seam to finally reveal itself.

More modding and deleted this filter with a bypass of EFI compatible hose and some clamps. Re-assembly of the tank and test pressure.

WHOLLLY COW!!

FUEL PRESSURE and RESIDUAL TO BOOT!!! No bleed off and it holds!!

Start the machine and purring like a kitten just after nursing!

Now....the reason I am posting this info is that I was chasing the TBAP sensor with wild abandon. I had the "code 41" as a logged problem on the self diagnosis. In hind sight, this code was probably thrown during a backfire. The sensor was correct in not liking what is was seeing however after clearing the code, I could not duplicate the code with running it in my shop. I had the luxury of having a buddy with an identical machine and with his running well, we could change components back and forth to confirm fault (or not). The TBAP wiring and sensor in this case was fine.

The back fire (through the intake) was due to a lean condition and with the removal of this internal (failed) filter, I am back baby!!
Thank you for this! Much appreciated!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts