Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i need some help please. i have a 2007 sportsman 800 that i went to go start and nothing. turns over and no ignition. When i put it away last ride it worked fine and i have never had issue with it. I pulled a plug and held it on the block and turned it over and no spark. wondering what i should look at ? now do i test the ignition coil box or the ecm to see if its sending proper voltage to coils ? i have no spark on either plug. yes i checked and replaced fuse and nothing.

there is three wires going to the ignition coils. green with white, yellow with brown and red with grey.

thanks for the help everyone and if you have tests i should do let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
If you don't have a repair manual, I would get one. You are gonna need to start testing, but there is a procedure to follow I think. Otherwise take it to a dealer and have them plug it into the diagnostic program.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do have a manual and it doesnt tell you anything about the ignition system. its a small little box with no voltages or
anything. my closest polaris dealer is 3.5hr one way

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
well shit.......I am not sure if any of my books cover the 800, I will take a look in the morning and see if I can come up with anything.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I have manual 9920378 for the 07 700-800 X2 EFI

Here is the text for testing the ignition system copied directly from the manual:

What's not in the manual:
Spark is killed by connecting the black wire to the brown wire (brown is ground) - the black wire goes to (1) the handlebar kill switch, (2) the key switch (3) the throttle safety switch (4) pin 25 of the ECU (5) pin 4 of the speedo - to eliminate all the kill possibilities, disconnect the black wire at the ECU - if spark returns, find the connection between the black wire and ground. Connect a meter to the black wire, with the key switch and handlebar switch in the run position, open the throttle - if the ground disappears, adjust the throttle cable - if ground is still there, unplug the key switch, followed by the handlebar switch and then the speedo - whichever one eliminates the connection to ground, replace it - if ground persists with everything unplugged, find the short in the wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have manual 9920378 for the 07 700-800 X2 EFI

Here is the text for testing the ignition system copied directly from the manual:

View attachment 135808

What's not in the manual:
Spark is killed by connecting the black wire to the brown wire (brown is ground) - the black wire goes to (1) the handlebar kill switch, (2) the key switch (3) the throttle safety switch (4) pin 25 of the ECU (5) pin 4 of the speedo - to eliminate all the kill possibilities, disconnect the black wire at the ECU - if spark returns, find the connection between the black wire and ground. Connect a meter to the black wire, with the key switch and handlebar switch in the run position, open the throttle - if the ground disappears, adjust the throttle cable - if ground is still there, unplug the key switch, followed by the handlebar switch and then the speedo - whichever one eliminates the connection to ground, replace it - if ground persists with everything unplugged, find the short in the wiring.

good morning. I disconnected the black wire from the ecu and no spark. i checked both plugs and neither has spark. any other suggestions ? i couldn't do any other trouble shooting becase the black wire didnt create spark.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
There is a splice in the wiring harness where the red/gry wire is spliced to the red/blk wire - the red/blk wire is hot (12v+) when the key switch is turned to the on position. Get power to the red/gry wire and it will probably run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, so i tested the red and grey right when i turn the key on. There is power for a few seconds and then i hear a click and power disappears. It sounds like the relays right in front the the ECM. when i turn the key on i hear the fuel pump sounds like normal also.

I thought i would let you know that Information in case that happens to mean anything, if not i will run a wire to the red/black wire but thought i would bounce that info your way first

Again, thanks a ton for the help i really appreciate it

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Check a red/blk wire at say a fuel injector - the red/blk wire gets it's power from the power relay - if you are losing power on the red/blk wire also, then you may have a faulty power relay (it's near the fuse box) or a faulty ECU (it controls the relay) - there is two identical relays - try swapping them - if that works, take the suspected faulty relay to an auto supply and find a replacement - get a couple or more - install the new relays and toss the old ones. If the relay does not solve the problem, check and waterproof all the wiring connections between the ECU, relays, fuse box, coil etc. If going through the connectors does not fix it, then get a new ECU or take it to a dealer for diagnosis before installing the ECU.

I think you will have it fixed before getting to the ECU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts