Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2007 Sportsman 800 a couple of weeks ago. This is the first ATV I have ever owned so I'm not completely sure what I've bought into. It had 49 hr and 434 miles on it when I bought it and I've only put maybe an hour or two on it since then.

My questions is; the 'Check Engine' message stays on and now the little wrench symbol occasionally shows up when I start it up. I finally figured out how to run the disgnostics and it displayed a code 46 and 41 but I'm not sure just what that means and/or how serious it is. Can anyone help me out with this? Am I going to create a serious problem by riding it like this?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
best thing is to call a dealer up and tell them you have code 46 and 41 and they should be able to tell you exactly what it is. all that stuff is in a dealer manual they will have.

the little wrench is just a dummy reverse countdown timer to remind you for service. it is resetable from 0-100 hours and when it counts down to 0 it will flash the wrench icon to remind you

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Blink' Codes

Thanks guys !

Well, I found out what the codes are, according the electronic owners manual I was able to download:

46 = Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit High Output

41 = Intake Air Temp Sensor: Open or short circuit to + Sensor Voltage
41 = Intake Air Temp Sensor: Short Circuit to Ground

I'm not sure what real impact those codes have though.

And, yes, I see the manual recomends servicing at 50 hours and/or 500 miles and that's right where I am so that must be why it's showing up. The oil looks real clean but not know what the previous owner had done I guess I'd better look up a good place to have it serviced soon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm suspecting maybe a bare wire somewhere because over the past 2 days it starts sputtering on me for no reason and then clears up and runs fine.

A FOLLOW UP QUESTION:
Are the rear taillights supposed to be on all the time when the engine is running? I didn't notice that until I was driving it in the dark last night. The brake lights light up when I use the hand brake but when I turn off the headlights the taillights are still on. I just found that kind of strange.

ALSO:
Is there an aftermarket muffler I can install to make it quieter? Oh yeah, it only has a single muffler. I thought all 800's had dual exhaust.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
your rear lights are suppose to be on when its running a safty thing. I know that cabelas sells a muffler silencer, there not cheap though . And your 2007 is the only year that polaris went to a single exhaust for the 800. the rest are dual.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally got my ATV over to the dealer for the 50 hr service and they verified the 46 and 41 'blinky' codes. They said they checked the sensor and said it was OK. They suspect something in the wiring harness may be shorted and said the most cost effective fix would be to replace the entire wiring harness:crazy: They also said it wasn't a real critical function and that I might as well just keep riding it as is.:shocked: That kind of surprised me because nirmally I suspect they would have insisted that they replace the harness for me .. at God only knows ... what cost !!! They also say that maybe the wires will move and it will correct itself ha ha. I'm wondering if maybe the problem is in a connector instead, like water or moisture shorting things out. You think maybe spraying WD-40 into all the connectors would hurt anything?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do what the dealer should have done. Get a copy of the wiring diagram. Inspect the wires real close from the sensors to wherever the diagram shows they run. Inspect the harness connectors for corrosion or bad connections. Use dielectric grease on the connectors.

You can do it , with patience, a heck of a lot cheaper than they can at $55 plus an hour.

·
Registered
109 Posts
what that sensor controls is basicly tells the ecm what altitude you are riding at for the fuel injection system.can cause the bike to run rich or lean depending on what elevation you ride at and what it defaults to when the code is active.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
isnt the flashing wrench not just a setting for every 50 hours where the dealer just wants you to bring it in for a look over?

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah the wrench is showing time counted down since the last maintainance you can also reset it i think too 100 hrs if memory serves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts