Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery light is flickering and the battery was drained down so low that it wouldnt start after shutting it off on the last trail ride I was on. Battery is about 2 years old and was determined to be "good" by a tech at advance auto. I have had mud & water enter the pull start on a previuos ride. That resulted in starter issues & i tore the cover off and cleaned the housing / starter. I purchased a multi meter, set it to read dc voltage, and got a reading of 24.4 volts several times at idle. I didnt think that was possible out of a 12 volt system & dismissed that as i was doing something wrong. After further research it appears a faulty stator can overcharge the system. I read that mud / water through the pull rope can damage the stator and starter. Is this accurate so far & how else can I further diagnose what exactly is wrong with my quad? Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's possible if your voltage regulator has died. When that goes the bulbs will be gone too, if you've turned them on, may have damaged a couple relays too.

But I have too add. When most regulators go bad I've never seen the voltage double so you may be looking at two problems. A stator going bad and killing the voltage regulator. Ohm out the stator before putting a new regulator in there. I'd hate too see ya buy two for no reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info.

Just spoke with a local Polaris service rep. & told him that the multimeter was reading 24 volts at idle across the battery. I was told that the excessive voltage could only occur if the voltage regulator rectifyer was bad. Parts depot. Stated that this component was possibly part of the power control module. They said it was part# 4..... something but didnt give the specifics. Anybody have any similar experiences where they replaced this (pcm?) part? Was told it cost $445 from dealer. What is the exact part number & where can I get one online? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts