Polaris ATV Forum banner

2008 500 efi

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  goesreallyfast 
#1 ·
Hi guys I am having trouble with over voltage.
with lights on voltage stays at 13.8 with out lights on 16.5
What would be that problem Regulator? if so how do I check it.

Thanks G. at dynotime1 (@) yahoo.com

#3 ·
It sounds like either you battery is dead or the regulator is bad. I had this experience with my 500. The way their regulation system works is that it need a constant 12 volts in from the battery to run, otherwise the current from the coil is sent directly to the bike's systems. I had a dead batter and had to pull start is, as I started riding I turned on my lights, they were bright blue like xenon lights for a second then they burned out. After doing some research and talking to dealers I found out of the design flaw in their regulators.

To test it make sure with the atv off that the battery has around 12 volts. The only other thing to check, is make sure that the bullet connectors that connect the wiring harness to the regulator are connected, also you could try unplugging them then plugging them back in.

#4 ·
Definitely sounds like a bad voltage regulator. Lots of posts here about it it.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks guys

Hay guys thanks, One the Battery has checked out ok and will take a charge and will hold voltage after the charge. I do not know how the Voltage regulator would go bad but it is after all just a part. Where do you get a used one? Or just pay Polaris the 125 for the Dam thing.

Should I replace the Battery at the same time?
I always thought that when a Voltage reg went bad it did not charge not over charge, But if a lot of guys are having trouble with the same item does Polaris have a recall on this?

This is what happens when you buy a use Machine.

#6 ·
Polaris, like the government, doesn't admit their flaws.

Sounds like your battery is still good. If you can't find one on re-bay, then the $125 sounds reasonable for a new part.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

#7 ·
It's not that it is overcharging the battery, it is not regulating the raw power coming from the magneto, and all that power is going to the atv's system which is not designed for anything over about 12 volts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.