Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 sportsman 800 touring edition that I am having a little trouble with. About a month ago I was cleaning the air filter and then I wanted to clean the throttle body. I decided to use some seafoam to clean the throttle body and poured it slowly while the engine was running, the engine sucking a little in at a time directly into the intake/throttle body.

The problem is after a few minutes of starting it up and letting it idle it just cuts off. It starts right back up and will idle fine but a little low and will cut off again. Sometimes it runs a little slugsh/rough but nothing to really complain about but never had it cut out when running. The real issue is the cutting off as it idles. It will do it after its hot and cold.

It does not have any codes flashing.

I'm assuming that it would either have to be the tbap sensor or the throttle body as those are really the only two things that could have been effected by the seafoam.

sorry for the long post and hopefully someone has had this happen

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!!

I would pull out the airbox and intake tube and give it a good inspection and cleaning BY HAND.

I had some issues with my intake being dry rotten. Mine was mostly surface, so I re coated it with silicone rubber to seal it. Cracks let in unfiltered air.

Also look at the sensors, you could have dislodged a piece of debris that has become lodged. With its cage is easy for something like this to happen..

My sister and Brother in law borrowed my machine last year. They usually used a rental machine. They did not know the trails so where stuck in the rear or the group...sucking dust for a week... They did not think to check the air filter. When I got it back it ran like shit! It took me a couple hours, cleaning the UNI filter, air box, air tube sensors and TB... But I got it. Its was SUPER dry and dusty.

Good luck,

CW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Kinda weird how this started after I used the seafoam. I've always had luck using it in small motors. Guess something doesn't like it this time.

Are there any sensors in the throttle body that could have been effected. The tps is on the side but that doesn't go into the port on the throttle body right?

Could it be the butterfly in the throttle body is shutting all the way making it cut out like a choke would on a carb?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It could... but I'll bet something was dislodged...

I love seafoam too and use it on all my engines. ESP the small! I am sure it did not hurt anything directly.

CW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts