Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 Polaris 500 ho carbureted it has a 20 over bore with aftermarket piston, and a jet kit, after finishing the build I was not getting enough gas to the carb so I was advised to order a aftermarket fuel pump with higher pressure this did not fix the problem so I was then advised to put a electronic pump on it. I did so and the bike will now run but I noticed that it seems to be overflowing the bowl on the bottom of the carb the drain screw is tight, my question is should I have to run a electronic pump or should the stock one have been fine with the work I have done

·
Registered
282 Posts
Never seen a single needing anything more than the stock pump can handle. Your electric pump is causing your flooding issues. I'd say jet up a couple sizes on your main but other than that it should run fine. Restriction on tank vent maybe?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Never seen a single needing anything more than the stock pump can handle. Your electric pump is causing your flooding issues. I'd say jet up a couple sizes on your main but other than that it should run fine. Restriction on tank vent maybe?
^^^^^^^^ x2

If you rejetted and there wasn't enough fuel flow, then you need different jets IMO, not an electronic pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks thats what I thought but the guy that advised me to do this is supposed to know what hes talking about...... not going back there again

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
X3 on the electric pump. It is putting out more pressure than the needle and float can hold back. Get some more main jets and go up till it runs right checking your plugsto be sure it's not too lean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the vaccume fuel pump back on and the wheeler is running right, I had a fuel line that had seperated and wasnt letting all tbe gas get to the carb but I still have gas comming out the overflow drain could it be the floats? If so how do I adjust them?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If you're sure it's coming out the overflow(higher up on the carb., you'll need to a carb. rebuild kit, i don't know if the dealers still sell JUST the float needle and seat(which is what you really need).
If fuel is coming out of the bottom of the bowl, then you should just remove the screw clean and reinstall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts