Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. New to the forum and new to Polaris ATVs. I'm not new to repairing things but I have a couple of questions about my ATV that I would like to get some input on before trying to fix something that may not be broke. I just recently purchased a 2008 Scrambler 500 HO AWD for my wife to ride when go trail riding. The ATV was actually purchased new in 2010 as a 2008 left over and the original owner I bought it from said that he probably didn't have 10 hours on it since 2010. So for the most part the ATV is in relatively good shape other than some surface rust, dust, and little bit of a rough idle when I first got it from sitting with old fuel in it. I got the owner's manual (OM) with the ATV and I've flipped through it some researching things I am unsure of. This is actually where one of my questions arose from. The OM states that there is an AWD indicator in the AWD switch that should illuminate when the switch is in AWD mode. Mine does not. I have jacked up the front and rear of the ATV and ran it on jack stands in both 2x4 and AWD modes and the front wheels do engage and disengage as they should but still no indicator. Is this a typo in the OM and something that applies to another Polaris model or should the indicator illuminate on this Scrambler? If so, does anyone know why it may not be illuminating but yet the AWD system works normally? I did see a YouTube video on a Sportsman and the gentleman in the video talks about jumpering 4 brown wires to ground under the front hood of the ATV to make the indicator work and sure enough, the AWD indicator did illuminate in the switch in the video. I have attached the page from the OM that shows where the AWD is located and talks about when it illuminates.

My second question is about the reverse speed limiter. The first several times I used reverse in this ATV, I never even noticed the reverse speed limiter operating. Maybe I was just backing up really slow, I don't really know but anyway I didn't notice. Now just a couple of days ago I noticed the ATV bucking and surging in reverse like it was running out of fuel. My first instinct was to switch the fuel know from On to RES since I knew I was close to being out of fuel anyway. Of course this didn't change anything and with a little research and playing with the ATV I discovered the reverse speed limiting function and I also found the override button. The override does work as it should so no problem there but my question is should this function of the ATV feel like it is surging and bucking like it is running out of fuel when your backing up too fast or should the RPM be smooth but very reduced like the throttle being held at limited travel just off of idle? I'm just surprised that I all of a sudden noticed this bucking and jerking in reverse when I hadn't noticed this previously and I'm just wondering if it was working previously but was smooth in how the RPM was being limited and therefore not as noticeable.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, both of these concerns I describe may be completely normal but I would like some input from you guys that have experience with Polaris that I don't have. Sorry for the long post guys but I like to include as much info and background as possible so that you don't have to keep asking me questions to get the info you need to answer my questions. Thanks for any and all input you can provide. It is appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 06 doesn't illuminate think that just might be a sportsman. The reverse sounds normal when you back up fast with out the override pushed it will act like that. Just mess with it safely back up fast and see what it does with it not pushed and then push it and hold it and do the same awd will not work in reverse unless the override is pushed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts