Polaris ATV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Latebird,
I bought a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO (carbureted version) that had wiring issues (Solenoid and battery were removed). Some of the wires are obvious where they go, but 3 of them I am uncertain of (Brown-small wire, blue-small wire, black-big wire that routes under the front rack). I am guessing that the brown and blue small wires go to the battery positive side of the solenoid, but the big black wire (#6 AWG) I would guess is the ground for the winch or ground bus. Do you agree? There are some other issues as well -no brakes. Would you please send me a repair manual with the wiring diagram to:
{email address deleted}
Thank you much, may God bless you for your help in keeping families out on the trails,
Mark

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
14,088 Posts
Hi Latebird,
I bought a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO (carbureted version) that had wiring issues (Solenoid and battery were removed). Some of the wires are obvious where they go, but 3 of them I am uncertain of (Brown-small wire, blue-small wire, black-big wire that routes under the front rack). I am guessing that the brown and blue small wires go to the battery positive side of the solenoid, but the big black wire (#6 AWG) I would guess is the ground for the winch or ground bus. Do you agree? There are some other issues as well -no brakes. Would you please send me a repair manual with the wiring diagram to:
[email protected]
Thank you much, may God bless you for your help in keeping families out on the trails,
Mark
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome to this fine forum FPD218.
I pulled all the plastic off to trace where the big black wire went to under the front rack. It turns out it does indeed go to the winch relay. (It appears to be a double pole relay that switches both the positive and the negative conductors that feed power to the winch.)
So there are only 2 small wires (#14 or #16 AWG) that are still a bit of a mystery...the brown wire, and the sky blue wire. I checked the resistance of each wire with respect to the steel frame (ground) and they both had similar readings I believe around 100 kilo ohms.
I thought of another test to perform tomorrow, I will check the resistance as before of each wire to ground, but this time I will operate the ignition switch during the test. If one of the wire's resistance drops with the key on...that wire must power the ignition switch (because a lower resistance to ground would mean more current (amps) will flow thru it when the ignition circuit is powered up with the battery. The other wire could possibly be a ground for the ignition. That is my theory. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? :unsure:
Also, I have not found a fuse link anywhere. Does anyone know where the fuse link should be located?
Maybe I should just add an inline waterproof fuse holder/fuse to whichever wire is the ignition wire. Is the OEM fuse link rated at 20 Amps?
Thanks for your input,
Be safe out there.
Mark

·
Administrator
19,001 Posts
Hi Latebird,

Mark
Mark - sent the manual - please edit your post and remove your address - unless you LIKE sapm

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
14,088 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Administrator
19,001 Posts
I rec'd the wiring dia. Thank you
I have watched a few youtubes on wiring past the speedo housin to get awd to work ..they speak of an apperently older model.. is there an easy to wire past the speedo on this model 2008 /500 HO
Wire past the speedo? What are you trying to accomplish?

·
Administrator
19,001 Posts
Yeah, the reverse speed limiter and AWD engagement are controlled by the speedo based on engine RPM - the brn/wht wire going to the speedo is the ground wire for AWD - if you connect the brn/wht to ground, the AWD will engage whenever the AWD switch is on, but use caution; if you have the rear wheels spinning wildly and activate the AWD, it can break drive shafts, Hilliard clutches and/or cause a loss of control leading to a crash. If the speedo is non functional, you may not have reverse speed limiting or may not be able to override reverse speed limiting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, the reverse speed limiter and AWD engagement are controlled by the speedo based on engine RPM - the brn/wht wire going to the speedo is the ground wire for AWD - if you connect the brn/wht to ground, the AWD will engage whenever the AWD switch is on, but use caution; if you have the rear wheels spinning wildly and activate the AWD, it can break drive shafts, Hilliard clutches and/or cause a loss of control leading to a crash. If the speedo is non functional, you may not have reverse speed limiting or may not be able to override reverse speed limiting.
Thank you much for your knowledge and wisdom

61 - 80 of 91 Posts