Polaris ATV Forum banner

2008 polaris sportsman 500 won't turn over

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Stu180 
#1 ·
My polaris sportsman 500 ho efi won't turn over, a few days ago the batt light came on and the speedometer dial started flashing and the quad just died. I pulled it into the barn and charged the battery, it started and ran fine after that until next day all it would do is
just make a clicking noise from starter solenoid. I checked volts and batt had aprox 13v then checked batt side of solenoid at 13v turned key and checked other terminal of solenoid and got about 8.5v, figures I'd try replacing it w a new from dealer. I got same readings from the new solenoid as well. Need some suggestions on what to do next please!

#2 ·
Battery. Metered and load tested are 2 different items.

From orbit on my Android.

#4 ·
I have an 08 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI. I had an issue where the machine would just shut off. It turned out to be one of the wires under the headlight pod had broken It would turn over but not start at first, then that even stopped when the wire completely broke before I found the problem.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.