Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheeler starts fine and after about 10 minutes of plowing the battery light comes on and I have to rev it up to get the plow to move. Also if the headlights are on for more than a half hour the battery light will start flashing. I replaced the battery last summer, any other idea what it could be?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,464 Posts
Sounds like you have an issue either with your stator or your voltage regulator. Are you using a battery tender in between plowing jobs? when the engine is running at 3,000 RPMs the voltage should be somewhere around 14 - 14.5 volts at the battery

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
Test of voltage at the battery while the machine is running at 3,000 RPM. Should read between 13.5 and 14.5 volts DC. The problem is when you're plowing you're using all those high wattage accessories like heaters and the winch but you're not getting the machine up to a charging voltage hence the battery dies down because the wattage of the stator can't satisfy the draw of all those accessories.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Install an ammeter in the battery positive lead - start the engine and turn all the accessories - increase engine rpm until the meter is reading ZERO amps - the RPM of the engine at that point is the break even point (the charging system is supplying all the current drawn by the electrical equipment) - at the break even point, the battery is neither being charged or discharged. Now raise the engine RPM until the ammeter is indicating 1 amp - this is the speed the engine needs to be operated at for 5 to 10 hours to fully charge the battery. Any time the engine speed is below the break even RPM, the battery is discharging - if the engine is operated at below break even RPM for longer periods of time than above the break even RPM, the battery is dying while the vehicle is in operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts