Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Polaris Trailblazer 330 that has been flawless since purchased new. My grandson was riding it about 10mph and gave it some throttle and it made a bang that sounded like a gunshot. I looked over the machine and cannot see any damage.

Motor is not seized, I can use the pull rope. The only electrical thing that works is the overtemp light and it stays on with key on/off. Engine will not crank over with start button, no head/tail light etc. Battery is full charge. With key on, I try to rope pull start and it does nothing. I have to unhook battery to get the over temp light to go dark.

I have checked start solenoid and it checks out.

There looks to be 3 things it could be. CDI Assy(3088209), Controller Module(4011831), or the RPM Limiter(4011856). I downloaded the service manual and about to see if I can troubleshoot each one to hopefully find problem. Want to make sure as each of these parts are ridiculously expensive.

Has anyone had similar issue of nothing working(except over temp light) after what appears to be a backfire?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Outside of other possibilities like broken or shorted wiring, it almost has to be the controller module - the rev limiter is tested by simply disconnecting the black wire at the CDI unit - If you disconnect the black wire and it will run (you may have to use the pull rope) then you have eliminated the CDI as a potential problem - if the temp light goes off when the rev limiter is unplugged, then the unit may be bad - the controller module is what turns on the temp light - it is also tied into the lights, ignition fan and charging system - unplug the module and the temp light will go off (most likely nothing else will work either) - get ready to buy a new controller module and possibly a sensor or other component, but probably just the ECM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info Latebird.

Is the Controller Module and the PDM(Power Distribution Module) the same thing? Part # 4011831 located behind the front grill according to the service manual?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Is the Controller Module and the PDM (Power Distribution Module) the same thing? Part # 4011831 located behind the front grill according to the service manual?

It's called different things by different people - the wiring diagram refers to it as the SSCB, the parts list calls it a controller module....... It's the same thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts