Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to hopefully an easy issue.. Recently bought a 2008 rzr 800. I bought it knowing it had a couple of issues, one of which the guy said it had been sitting for roughly a year. It sputters at full throttle, so I figured it was just bad gas. I drained the tank, added premium gas and changed the plugs. The problem still exists. After pulling the bed and looking at it, it appeared 1 muffler was warm and the other was very hot, so I suspect 1 cylinder isn’t firing quite right. I pulled the plug from that cylinder and it appeared to have either carbon or dirt on it, reinstalled and had same issue. Any thoughts on what might be the culprit? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick question to hopefully an easy issue.. Recently bought a 2008 rzr 800. I bought it knowing it had a couple of issues, one of which the guy said it had been sitting for roughly a year. It sputters at full throttle, so I figured it was just bad gas. I drained the tank, added premium gas and changed the plugs. The problem still exists. After pulling the bed and looking at it, it appeared 1 muffler was warm and the other was very hot, so I suspect 1 cylinder isn’t firing quite right. I pulled the plug from that cylinder and it appeared to have either carbon or dirt on it, reinstalled and had same issue. Any thoughts on what might be the culprit? Thanks in advance.
I will add that there is no Check engine light displayed.

·
12,232 Posts
Is it firing? Wires and coils tested? New plugs? Compression test? Fuel pressure test? Both injectors spraying?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have found the issue, hopefully it fixes it. It appears that the spark plug wire for that cylinder in question laid on something hot and melted through to the wires. After putting a meter on it, it was making an intermittent connection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue with the cylinder is fixed. It idles and sounds great, I do have an issue though.. I’m leaking oil from the exhaust manifold? Any help would be appreciated!

·
12,232 Posts
If that's the cylinder that wasn't firing it may just be where raw fuel was being blown out because it wasn't igniting.
Do a compression/leak down test. It may be time for the head and top end to be freshened up.
How much oil does it use?
Notice, I didn't ask IF it uses oil. I'm pretty confident that it probably uses quit a bit of oil since its a 2008 800 engine... AND its been running with a cylinder dead.
How many miles/hours on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts