Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, thanks for all the info on this forum! I ran it about a week ago with no issues. Has been parked and on a battery tender since. Went out to start it and the instrument panel doesn't light up and no clicking sounds.

• Battery is reading good at 13.3V and was new in September and on the tender.
  • I did check the three 15 Amp fuses under the front right fender and they all looked good.
  • There is power to and from the key switch when turned.
I have all the front fairing off and don't see any glaring issues. I have been searching around and found that the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier is known to have issues as well as the CDI. Not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
#1 - rec/reg has nothing to do with a no power issue (unless it shorts the battery to ground, drains the battery and the battery is now a rock)

#2 - CDI has nothing to do with a no power issue

#3 - how do you know you have power to and from the key switch if you don't have power to anything else?

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
yeah sounds a lot like a key switch issue to me!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for clarifying 1 and 2
#1 - rec/reg has nothing to do with a no power issue (unless it shorts the battery to ground, drains the battery and the battery is now a rock)

#2 - CDI has nothing to do with a no power issue

#3 - how do you know you have power to and from the key switch if you don't have power to anything else?
Thanks for clarifying 1 and 2. I'm not very knowledgeable on how everything interacts. For #3 I got my multimeter out and check there was power to the key switch, then checked after turning the key on and there was power in 2 different places on it. Should all the wires be powered if they key is on?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Here is a dumb thing that Polaris did - the 300 is (by the wiring diagram) has 3 red/blk wires going to the key switch - one red/blk wire is hot 24/7 the other red/blk wires are only hot when the switch is on - now the two red/blk wires that are hot when the key is on goes to the LH handlebar switch - when that switch is on or in the run position, then the red.wht wire is hot - the red/wht wire at the LH switch goes to a splice where it splits into 5 red/wht wires - one red/wht wire goes back to the key switch where it is connected to the wht/red wire when the key is turned to the start position - the wht/red wire goes to the solenoid and causes it to operate when the switch it turned to the start position.

So:
One red/blk wire hot key off
All red/blk wires hot key on
All wires except wht/red hot when key and handlebar switch on
All wires hot when key, handlebar and key is in the start position

I'm betting the red/wht wire is not energized because of a poor connection at the LH switch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a dumb thing that Polaris did - the 300 is (by the wiring diagram) has 3 red/blk wires going to the key switch - one red/blk wire is hot 24/7 the other red/blk wires are only hot when the switch is on - now the two red/blk wires that are hot when the key is on goes to the LH handlebar switch - when that switch is on or in the run position, then the red.wht wire is hot - the red/wht wire at the LH switch goes to a splice where it splits into 5 red/wht wires - one red/wht wire goes back to the key switch where it is connected to the wht/red wire when the key is turned to the start position - the wht/red wire goes to the solenoid and causes it to operate when the switch it turned to the start position.

So:
One red/blk wire hot key off
All red/blk wires hot key on
All wires except wht/red hot when key and handlebar switch on
All wires hot when key, handlebar and key is in the start position

I'm betting the red/wht wire is not energized because of a poor connection at the LH switch
Speaking of Dumb things, you were absolutely correct with the LH switch being the problem. All the labels are gone off of mine from the previous owner having it out in the weather. One of my boys had slid the kill switch to one of the OFF positions. Had to google the switch to see what the settings were! All up and running now. At least I have an intro here and now a service manual. Thanks Latebird!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts