Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a sportsman 300 2008 model for about 3k perhaps a little more. I dont know what the miles are on it yet, I am waiting for him to get back to me on it. I have heard mixed reviews on the sportsman line. I think it is fine but have never ridden one. I def want 4x4 which is why this interests me. any ideas on if this is a good deal or not? Obviously it is depending on the milage of the vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have an 08 just like that. Good dependable little ute. 3k sounds pretty high for an 08. Better be very nice for that price. No aftermarket support. If you start wanting more power later on, too bad. Ours has hundreds of hours on it with no issues. Wife just bought a 550 eps, so moved one of the kids up to the 300, and sold one of the 90cc quads.

Sent from my Galaxy 4 using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have an 08 just like that. Good dependable little ute. 3k sounds pretty high for an 08. Better be very nice for that price. No aftermarket support. If you start wanting more power later on, too bad. Ours has hundreds of hours on it with no issues. Wife just bought a 550 eps, so moved one of the kids up to the 300, and sold one of the 90cc quads.

Yeah I need to find out how many miles are on it and I guess look around. I had a 400 HO lined up for 3700. But that one wouldnt quite fit in the truck. Short bed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Drop the gate. What truck are you driving? I would look at a full size before the smaller 300. The 300s are a mid size. But are pretty small.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 2008 tacoma doublecab with a 5' bed. The wheelwells are at the against the front of the bed. With the gate down it measures about 80'' long, and at the wheel wells it is 42" across. It could sit on top of the wells if needed I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Might want to look on Craigslist for a small trailer too. I had a 4 x 8. Paid $130 for it. Used it for a few years. Sold it on Craigslist for $130.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might want to look on Craigslist for a small trailer too. I had a 4 x 8. Paid $130 for it. Used it for a few years. Sold it on Craigslist for $130.

Yeah thats a good idea too. Probably better than just going with what will fit in the truck. My wife wants to ride with me, but I dont feel comfortable with it, because I dont want to roll it with her on. Id rather get a 2up so at least we feel safer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forget about the 300 for more than one person. Realistically, the 300 is small for 1 adult. The 2up in a 570 or 550 would be as small as I personally go. Depends on your riding area.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We currently ride a friends Honda 250 2x4 with electronic shift. I hate the electronic shift, but we fit rather well. We havent done much riding on it but I would definitely prefer her to have handles to hold onto. 550 sounds good. I found an Arctic Cat 400 on craigslist complete with trailer and goodies. I dont know how good arctic cats are compared to other brands. I have only rode on hondas.

06 Arctic Cat 400 auto 87mls 58hrs

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I ride 2 up on my 07 hawkeye 300 (the predicesor to the Sportsman 300) all the time. and I'm 6'5" so anyone that tells you it can't be done is full of it. it's a mid sized frame, but it's still a decent size. that being said. I'd say shop for the bike that fits your riding needs, not the bed of your truck. otherwise you're just wasting money.

I like my hawkeye, but I bought it for my wife (4'10.5")to ride and she has no intentions of riding it so I'll be trading it in for a 570 as it will fit me and my riding style better. and with the better ergos and EPS my wife should still be able to ride if she wants too. and with the aftermarket options for the full sized frame will make for a lot safer and more comfortable ride for the younger kids.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Artic cats aren't known for their quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ride 2 up on my 07 hawkeye 300 (the predicesor to the Sportsman 300) all the time. and I'm 6'5" so anyone that tells you it can't be done is full of it. it's a mid sized frame, but it's still a decent size. that being said. I'd say shop for the bike that fits your riding needs, not the bed of your truck. otherwise you're just wasting money.

I like my hawkeye, but I bought it for my wife (4'10.5")to ride and she has no intentions of riding it so I'll be trading it in for a 570 as it will fit me and my riding style better. and with the better ergos and EPS my wife should still be able to ride if she wants too. and with the aftermarket options for the full sized frame will make for a lot safer and more comfortable ride for the younger kids.
Oh I know it can be done. Riding the 250 is fine for me and her. Im only 5'9" and she is 5'6" and not a problem. I would like a little bigger machine just for the ability to do more, whether I do it or not. My truck has 4x4 and offroad package but I have never taken it truly off roading, though one day I might. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
According to Honda, Neither are the Polaris.
that may be so, but that's only because Polaris is leading the pack on new tech where as Honda hasn't innovated in 15+ years. and both brands show the cost of their individual business plans. Honda is a dwindling market share and Polaris is the #1 ATV and SxS manufacture. The Sportsman 500 is the standard against which all other ATVs are measured as it is the #1 selling ATV of all time. Not just for Polaris. OF ALL TIME. It is a tried and true work horse and as bullet proof as an ATV can be. and I'll stake that against a honda too. If it weren't a honda would have that #1 seat.

Don't get me wrong. Honda's are quality machines and testiments to reliability, but if I wanted to be beat up by what I was riding I'd buy a horse.

Reactions: Slabach

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
According to Honda, Neither are the Polaris.
that may be so, but that's only because Polaris is leading the pack on new tech where as Honda hasn't innovated in 15+ years. and both brands show the cost of their individual business plans. Honda is a dwindling market share and Polaris is the #1 ATV and SxS manufacture. The Sportsman 500 is the standard against which all other ATVs are measured as it is the #1 selling ATV of all time. Not just for Polaris. OF ALL TIME. It is a tried and true work horse and as bullet proof as an ATV can be. and I'll stake that against a honda too. If it weren't a honda would have that #1 seat.

Don't get me wrong. Honda's are quality machines and testiments to reliability, but if I wanted to be beat up by what I was riding I'd buy a horse.
Hahaha! Yeah. I was riding a few trails the other day and almost got bucked off of the little Honda (the suspension sucked). I rode a little 120 Yamaha Bike and it was better than the quad. Besides for the price I could buy a 420cc there I could get a 550 like new Polaris.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Never said that it could not be done. But definitely recommend a bigger machine if x2 is the use one is intending it for. Would be fine on light trail use. But for any hills or more ambitious use, one might want to opt for the stability and power of the larger chassis.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

Never said that it could not be done. But definitely recommend a bigger machine if x2 is the use one is intending it for. Would be fine on light trail use. But for any hills or more ambitious use, one might want to opt for the stability and power of the larger chassis.

you'll note in my post I not only recommended finding a bike that fit his riding needs, but also mentioned that I will be moving up to the larger framed bike. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but maybe you guys can give me advice. Looking at a 2007 Sportman 300 with 36 hrs on it. It was used by an elderly gentleman to just plow his driveway (it still has a plow attachment). How much is it worth? He's asking $3,600 for it.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
I know this is an old post but maybe you guys can give me advice. Looking at a 2007 Sportman 300 with 36 hrs on it. It was used by an elderly gentleman to just plow his driveway (it still has a plow attachment). How much is it worth? He's asking $3,600 for it.
The 300 was introduced as a 2008 model, so if you are looking at a 2007 it must be a TrailBoss 330 - an 08 Sportsman 300 has a trade in value of about $2000 for clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment. Condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. Additional options added are assumed to be in good condition and in working order. Personally, if it is in good working order with no broken plastic, decent tires (hold air), has an owners manual and maybe the tool kit (title is optional - if has one great if no, who cares) I would offer about $2500 and hope to get it for about $3000. Take off $200 for each defect that needs immediate attention.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 300 was introduced as a 2008 model, so if you are looking at a 2007 it must be a TrailBoss 330 - an 08 Sportsman 300 has a trade in value of about $2000 for clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment. Condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. Additional options added are assumed to be in good condition and in working order. Personally, if it is in good working order with no broken plastic, decent tires (hold air), has an owners manual and maybe the tool kit (title is optional - if has one great if no, who cares) I would offer about $2500 and hope to get it for about $3000. Take off $200 for each defect that needs immediate attention.
Wow, thank you for such a thorough explanation! The pictures he posted say Sportsman 300 so maybe he has the year wrong. But at least I know that he's overpriced it a bit. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts