Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a pretty good deal on a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 300 and was wondering if that was a pretty reliable model. It looks like a good size for my kids to ride. Currently we have a 90 Yamaha Raptor and a Honda 250 Recon. I want a 4x4 bike but one that is to big or fast. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
The machine is a little low on power...but it tends have bee a reliable machine overall. If it's in good shape than sounds like it would be a fine machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. A little underpowered would be good. My youngest boy has a heavy thumb and he would be going from the Raptor 90 to the Sportsman 300. He can drive the Recon250 fine but he doesn't like the electric shift buttons. Just wants to put it in gear and go. I would like to go with the Arctic Cat 150 but I have three older kids who will complain that the 150 is to small and they want a 4x4. Sounds like this 300 could be a good fit. They have it listed for $2400 obo so I should be able to get them down some. Thanks again!

·
Registered
495 Posts
My only other question would be is it straight axle like the older ones or does it have IRS? Still not a deal killer but, in tough terrain, it may not walk over humps and uneven ground as well, if not IRS. New was over $4k so, if it is not high mileage, it does sound like a good deal. I test rode an 04, was a decent machine but, I KNEW I wanted IRS and the Power of the 400.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has the IRS and almost 2500 miles according to info and pictures. Looks pretty clean and has Kenda Bear Claws tires but I can't tell what size. Didn't look real big but were probably bigger than the 22's that are on our Honda Recon 250. That is going to lead to another issue because whoever is riding the Honda is going to complain they don't have 4x4. I plan to add some bigger mud tires and a wench to help even things out. Not sure if I can go much bigger than 24's on the Honda. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
495 Posts
It has the IRS and almost 2500 miles according to info and pictures. Looks pretty clean and has Kenda Bear Claws tires but I can't tell what size. Didn't look real big but were probably bigger than the 22's that are on our Honda Recon 250. That is going to lead to another issue because whoever is riding the Honda is going to complain they don't have 4x4. I plan to add some bigger mud tires and a wench to help even things out. Not sure if I can go much bigger than 24's on the Honda. Thanks again for the help!
Lolol!! Yep. Exactly why I sold the two Kawasaki Bayou atvs and picked up two more Polaris. Didn't take us long to find out that, even though 2wd atvs are great, they had a tough time keeping up with the 4wd Polaris machines when we were at Hatfield/McCoy Trails. The shorter seat height of the Kawis was a problem too. We could roll right through water crossings on the taller Polaris and the kids would look at us like "REALLY?" My Wife said "Ok, when is this gonna be enough?" I said "When I get a Polaris for each of us". Mission accomplished!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be nice if the manufactures made some small 4x4 but I guess that's how they make their money. Get the youngsters hooked on riding and keep upgrading as the grow. Pretty good business plan. Oh well there are lot worse things the kids could be doing! Actually it's been one of the best things we have been able to do for fun as a family.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It would be nice if the manufactures made some small 4x4 but I guess that's how they make their money. Get the youngsters hooked on riding and keep upgrading as the grow. Pretty good business plan. Oh well there are lot worse things the kids could be doing! Actually it's been one of the best things we have been able to do for fun as a family.
You can say that again!! Memories made, responsibilities learned, time well spent. Check out my album called "our rides". Only the tip of the iceberg!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I waited a day to long and it got sold! Tried to make it to shop yesterday but had some work stuff come up so I couldn't get to shop which is about an hour and a half away. They sent me an email today letting me know it was sold. I ended up buying a 2014 Kymco 300 from a buddy who owns a Yamaha/Polaris/Honda and Kymco dealership. He added the Kymco line almost two years ago and has said they have been just as reliable as the others. The price was good for a new model and comes with 12 month warranty. I bought my Yamaha Raptor and Recon from him. He gave me a good deal on the Raptor for trade. Really wanted a 4x4 but I would rather error on the safe side. This bike is basically same size as my Recon but is automatic with High/Low and Reverse. Just couldn't pull the trigger on a 4x4 because they were just bigger than I wanted for my youngest plus they weigh over 100+lbs more and were more expensive. Might have got a Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4 but he didn't have any in stock. I have plans for a big ride this weekend and felt good about the deal. Frankly I got tired of looking and I was going to buy something today! Thanks for all the help and who knows I may end up with a Polaris someday. Really do like the Touring models!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Happy and SAFE riding!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the good wishes and ironically the first time out my worst fears almost happened. My 16 year old step daughter was driving the new Kymco with my 12 year old son on the back. Which of course I know is wrong but they have done this numerous times. Well they went down a hill and from what my other son says who saw the accident was that they weren't going fast but hit a rut that moved the bike to the right hard and it slowly tipped on its side. My step daughter bailed but my son got stuck underneath it but luckily walked away, actually jogged away to "run off the pain" according to him. So it proved two things to me, first I'm happy I got the smaller machine and second it proved to the kids that bad things can happen and these aren't toys. Could have been very bad situation but luckily it ended up ok. The only thing that happened to the bike was it bent one of the brake handles. I flipped it back over and it fired right up and they rode the rest of the day. While we were riding I saw one of the new Polaris Ace bike and after today one of those maybe in my kids future. Sure seems like a safe bike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thank you for the good wishes and ironically the first time out my worst fears almost happened. My 16 year old step daughter was driving the new Kymco with my 12 year old son on the back. Which of course I know is wrong but they have done this numerous times. Well they went down a hill and from what my other son says who saw the accident was that they weren't going fast but hit a rut that moved the bike to the right hard and it slowly tipped on its side. My step daughter bailed but my son got stuck underneath it but luckily walked away, actually jogged away to "run off the pain" according to him. So it proved two things to me, first I'm happy I got the smaller machine and second it proved to the kids that bad things can happen and these aren't toys. Could have been very bad situation but luckily it ended up ok. The only thing that happened to the bike was it bent one of the brake handles. I flipped it back over and it fired right up and they rode the rest of the day. While we were riding I saw one of the new Polaris Ace bike and after today one of those maybe in my kids future. Sure seems like a safe bike.
Not your WORST fear if they walked away and wanted to ride again. I preach and preach to my Grandsons about being safe, especially when we are out on the Hatfield/McCoy trails. Help is a LONG way off!! So, what's the first thing my Son, (their Dad) does? Tries to cut around and pass us, only to find out he was headed for a rutted out mud hole that was almost 3' deep with water. He hit the edge of the berm, jumped off to keep the 400 out of the water, standing in thigh to crotch deep water while I put a strap on him to pull him out. Needless to say, I told him to "stay in the *&*#*# line and NO showboating!!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts