Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 sportsman 500 efi. Im having some problems and I cant figure them out.
Here's the list
1. Battery light and speedo needle are flashing as soon as I start it.
2. Clock, miles, hours reset after the atv has been turned off for a couple minutes
3. Check engine light is not on but when I do a diag check codes 42 and 58 flash.
4. The speedo gauge shows .7 for voltage

And here's what i've done to try and fix the problems
1. Bought brand new battery and let it slow charge overnight and installed it.
2. For the codes 42 and 58, bought a new ect sensor even though the old one tested good. Check ohms on the ect wires. Checked for short to grounds. Everything has tested good.
3. Tested the ohms on the stator and it tested good.
4. With the engine running the battery reads 14.xx volts with my meter

Any help would be appreciated, I've downloaded a service manual and have been following it and the wiring schematics on it but have yet to figure out the problems. I don't know if I have one problem or multiple problems. I bought the bike wrecked and have been rebuilding it. The bike runs great, I rode it all last weekend but i'm trying to iron out the last few details.
Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
In my experience when the battery light flashes including the speedo it means that the engine is consuming more voltage then the stater is putting out, at least that's what mine was doing. I would run good but as soon as you use the winch it would start blinking until 5000+ RPM's

Up under the front cover there should be the silver ECM/Voltage regulator with three yellow wires coming from the stator to that box, those are the three legs of the charging/lighting side of the stator, an easy check on them is to take an ohm meter or multi-meter and test continuity to ground, if you have little to no resistance it means that leg is shorted and wont create voltage to charge the battery. another check is with the engine running set your multi-meter to AC voltage and poke one of those wires with the red prong and touch the black to the frame, you should have a decent amount coming off from each wire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts