Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a discrepency between my Clymer Service and Repair Manual and my Manual that came with my ATV and I need a little help.

In my front gear case, my ATV manual says the fill capacity in the front gear case is 9.3 ounces of demand drive LT premium fluid (part #2876251).

In my Clymer Manual, it says the fill capacity is 5.0 ounces of Polaris demand drive hub fluid (part # 2871654).

Any ideas on which one is correct?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i would go with the manual for two reasons.

one, the manual was wrote by the same guys that made the gearbox, not a thrid independant party

two, your EFI should have ADC, correct? the demand drive LT has the proper additives for the ADC already with it. just the regular demand drive is for NON-ADC gearboxes. the difference in fluids is also coming form the extra amount the ADC requries

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks blueline15, I will go with my owners manual And yes I have adc. Any other advice 4 me with oils and lube changes. I'm getting ready to change my transmission oil as well as my engine oil too

·
Registered
45 Posts
Polaris makes this confusing to say the least. :dunno:

The 2008 Specification might be different but this is what is listed for the 2006 Model.

My Polaris sportsman 2006 450, 500, 700 Manual Reads -

Front Demand Drive Unit (Front Gearcase)
Fluid - Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid

Page 111 Polaris products description

2871654 Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid (8oz)
2872277 Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid (2.5 gal)

Also more info below

From the RZR Forum - TXRZR Post
http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/10854-front-gearbox-fluid.html

"I talked to my Polaris dealer and they said the LT Premium Fluid 2876251 is a newer formulation of the older Demand Drive Fluid 2871654 which is recommended for my Sportsman 400. He said the newer fluid could be used in the Sportsman but said to not use the 2871654 in the RZR. "

·
Registered
603 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just buy a bottle of proper fluid and fill till the fluid starts coming out of the fill hole. Doesn't matter whether it's 5 or 6 or 9 oz's it's full...JM2C

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Thanks blueline15, I will go with my owners manual And yes I have adc. Any other advice 4 me with oils and lube changes. I'm getting ready to change my transmission oil as well as my engine oil too
no, nothing special really, all pretty straight forward, at least all that i can think of

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My owners manual says to park on level ground and maintain fluid level at the bottom of the fill hole threads. When doing a fluid change, add 9.3 oz of fluid (2876251). But my clymer service manual says that 4 my model, a fluid check can't b done. Only a fluid change and then fill capacity to 5oz. ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts