Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 500 does not want to engage the starter. Friday 9 degrees outside and solenoid would click when I tried to start it. Tried back up recoil starter and could't budge engine. Later in day when temp got abouve freezing it started up fine with electric start. Had it up in the fields loading deer and it died. Elecric start would only click the solenoid and not crank but lighs and fan was working. Back up recoil worked fine. Brought it home and charged battery for 24 hours. Electric start just clicks the solenoid but will not crank engine. All the while the electric start does not work lights work and instrument cluster work . Is this a bad battery, solenoid or starter? Help!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
since you are hearing the solenoid click, that shows it is working(most if not all of the time). since the starter didnt work, and then it did, and then it didnt again, i think it is okay there too. once the starter goes, it is done, it doesnt work again until it is fixed. (fyi, almost always you can rebuild a starter for half of what a new one cost)

which leads us to the last of the three, and the most common to fail. may i ask how old this battery is? how often is the atv used?

just because you charge a battery and it has 12V doesnt mean it will start the machine, or start it more then once. i common problem with batteries that are shot is if you charge it to full charge, start the machine up, turn it off, and try to restart in 5 mins later and it wont start. your battery probably still had the volts to run the lights and fans, but not the amps to start the machine. first thing to do is to charge it to full charge, but do not overcharge it, and then take it to a battery shop so they can do a load test. if it fails the load test you need to buy a new battery. the shelf life on these thinks is only about 2-3 years. hope that helps some

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sportsman 500 not starting

Thanks blueline15. All of that makes complete sense. I was hoping for the battery to be the problem and thought it was the most susceptable part. It is the original battery that was in it when I bought it August 08. That battery is probably two years old or close to it so that makes sense. I will give it a try and let you know. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
no problem. a load test at a battery store shouldnt cost you anything. if the battery is charged it only takes like 10 seconds to do. battery brands can make a difference too in their length of life. has the battery or machine sat for longer the a month or so without being charged or used? let me know what you find out. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have kept the machine pretty active since this August. At least 4 to 6 hours every other weekend and now during hunting season 2 to 4 hours every weekend. However, through the spring and summer not much activity. Get it out on a weekend once a while and let it run 15 to 30 minutes. But now that I think about it, the last two weeks it seemed to be dragging a bit to get started. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
sounds good. a battery tender is worth their weight in gold. if you dont know what they are, they charge your batter and keep it charged while you are not using it. if floats the charge without overcharging your battery and boiling the acid inside. your batt looses about 1% of charge every day its not used. once a battery gets to about only 60%-70% charge, you start to get corrosion on the plates inside, which means less contact surface with the acid and less cranking amps. once the corrosion sets in, it is almost always inreversiable and the battery must be replaced. a $40 battery tender solves that problem and is worry free to leave on and charging for weeks at a time. it common to see battery tenders extend the life of a battery by 1-3 more years

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery not the deal. Soleniod appears to be working so we ordered a new starter today. DID NOT order from Polaris dealer. Ridiculous! They wanted $435. My son-in-law found one for I think he said around 70. Will let you know how this friggin saga ends.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check to make sure you have a good connection with the battery cables, I have had one to have a corroded cable that would click but not carry enough current to actually turn the the starter. Also Try tapping on your starter's end as your attempt to start it. Brushes will get corroded not make good contact, a slight tap will set them in. Disassemble the starter and check the brushes and where they make contact on the armature. Some sand paper might be all that you need..

·
Registered
421 Posts
just cuz the solinoid is clicking. dosent really mean its working. last yr my battery and solinoid whent out at the same time. the solinoid clicked but it wasent letting power though to trip the starter. the same thing happend on a lawn mower 2 weeks ago. battery was good. starter was new. along with the solinoid. but the solinoid was bad. 12.xx at the battery. .50v on the starter side of the solinoid. solinoid was replaced. it fixed the issue. by pass the solinoid see if it starts that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts