Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my 500 HO starts and idles beautifully, about 3k rpms the battery light starts flashing but still runs fine, about 5k rpms it dies just like you shut the key off. After this it won't start, at all, until you cycle the key then it's the same story. I've had the carb apart and soaked it about 18hrs in cleaner I have plenty of fuel going to the carb. At this point I'm looking into spark but I'm not very educated on these ignitions and help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
The 08 500 HO needs a fully charged battery to run - so a flashing battery light usually indicated a discharged battery. Shutting the key switch for a few minutes will allow the battery to recover a bit and it will run again until the battery again discharges. Besides checking the obvious like loose connections and poor grounds, you should check the charging system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, what should the running voltage be? I'm a mechanic but as I said before I'm not educated on these particular systems.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
All charging systems pretty much operate in the same way with the same parameters with the biggest being the maximum allowable current bases on the size of the battery being charged. The charging system in a car can over charge an ATV battery and cause it to explode. Similarly, the charging system of certain large vehicles could overcharge an automotive battery. The charging system is matched to the battery that is expected to be in the vehicle.

Put a volt meter on the battery - at idle is is operating at a loss and voltage should steadily decline slowly - at about 1500 to 2000 RPM is the break even point - the system is supplying current to the battery at the same rate it is discharging - above 2500 RPM the battery starts to charge - the voltage will not just jump to 14.8 volts and stay there, it will rise slowly to 14.8 volts when the battery becomes fully charged, then the voltage will decline to appx. 13.2 before rising to 14.8 - the cycling of voltage between 13.2 and 14.8 is the regulator cutting in and out to maintain the battery voltage.

The charging system is designed to charge at about a maximum of 1.5 amps therefore the wiring is less than 10 ga. 10 ga wire is good for 30 amps and that is about the size of the wire on an automotive charging system.

To see 14.8 volts on your vehicle, the battery has to be in good condition and fully charged when you start testing. If the battery is below 12 volts when you start the test, you may not see voltage above 13 volts, but if the voltage rises with an increase in engine speed, it is a rudimentary indication that the charging system is working - at least it is doing something - it may not be right, but it has an output.

If the battery is damaged from long periods of disuse, over charging or under charging, it may simply need a new battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so battery voltage before I started the bike was 12.2v at idle I had between 14v and 15.5v voltage rose with rpm until 17.6v-18v when the bike dies. These results were repeated over half a dozen tests.

This points my mind towards the voltage regulator, any other possibilities?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Definitely needs a rec/reg if the stator is not shorted to ground - stator shorted to ground could possible cause the same issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stator is indeed shorted to ground. I have 4ohms from any winding to chassis ground. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts