Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Purchased a used 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI last year. Ran great until recently, when, after running for awhile and heating up, it bogs down, even to the point of quitting. No overheating light popping on. Fan is turning on. Have not yet looked that closely at how dirty the radiator is, though. Drained and re-filled coolant (figured it was time, and I needed the practice), oil and filter recent changed, air filter in good shape. I'm no mechanic, but I enjoy trying to give it a shot before turning it over to the local shop. Ideas? Thermostat? I've checked other threads and haven't seen anything that fits this condition.

Thanks in advance - I truly appreciate any and all ideas.

·
8,935 Posts
Greetings. Purchased a used 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI last year. Ran great until recently, when, after running for awhile and heating up, it bogs down, even to the point of quitting. No overheating light popping on. Fan is turning on. Have not yet looked that closely at how dirty the radiator is, though. Drained and re-filled coolant (figured it was time, and I needed the practice), oil and filter recent changed, air filter in good shape. I'm no mechanic, but I enjoy trying to give it a shot before turning it over to the local shop. Ideas? Thermostat? I've checked other threads and haven't seen anything that fits this condition.

If I were guessing, and I am, I'd say you need a fuel pump and regulator. Pretty common issue. Polaris will only sell you the entire tank assembly for around $600. A good Quantum pump and regulator kit for your machine is about $80 on ebay. Use the search function in the different forum sections and you'll find a lot of discussions, instructions and part numbers along with ebay links for good replacements.

Here's a link to the first one I found but you probably want to confirm with at pressure test first. Test it when its hot/quits if possible since they'll often show near acceptable pressure when cold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-FUEL-HFP-382-P-Fuel-Pump-Kit/163492520324?fits=Year:2008|Model:Sportsman+500&epid=251792422&hash=item2610e9e184:g:jwMAAOSw-7xc17DC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If I were guessing, and I am, I'd say you need a fuel pump and regulator. Pretty common issue. Polaris will only sell you the entire tank assembly for around $600. A good Quantum pump and regulator kit for your machine is about $80 on ebay. Use the search function in the different forum sections and you'll find a lot of discussions, instructions and part numbers along with ebay links for good replacements.

Here's a link to the first one I found but you probably want to confirm with at pressure test first. Test it when its hot/quits if possible since they'll often show near acceptable pressure when cold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-FUEL-HFP-382-P-Fuel-Pump-Kit/163492520324?fits=Year:2008|Model:Sportsman+500&epid=251792422&hash=item2610e9e184:g:jwMAAOSw-7xc17DC
Thanks! That was what the owner of the local ATV shop said, as well. Was hoping it was something simpler, but we’ll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts

You know I've noticed this a lot on looking at different parts. In the case of my 08 PS 500 H0 EFI Touring, the fuel pump in your link says it's compatible with the 08 500 HO EFI 4X4 but then you click on it's a 500 Touring model and it says it's not compatible,what gives? Aren't they the same ? Is the Touring model something special or what? Like I've said I seen this on other parts also it fit's everything in the world until you click on Touring model and then it say's not compatible.

I suspect I'm going to be needing a new fuel pump myself as soon as I can get a pressure test done.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts