Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, New to forum and ATV's. In last month purchased a low hours 2006 Trail Boss 330 for the 15 year old boy's B-day and yesterday while visiting the dealer for oils and grease found what I was told was rare great deal on a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI with winch and plow, just traded in that AM, 160 hrs, 1100 miles for 3k so I bought it and brought it home today. It looks super clean, rims not even scratched nor the underbelly, I was told the gent who owned it only used it to plow his driveway. My question is I can not find any info or threads on a 500 HO EFI, seems like they are either a 500 HO or an EFI but not both together. It is green, it is fuel injected, says HO in red lettering on the tank, what is it??? I want to change all the fluids from one end to the other and find a manual on line and go over it well and get to having some fun with the kid this weekend but don't want to get stuck in the woods. I'm told Polaris is the best of the best, this thing looks like a tank compared to the 330. Any and all comments and suggestions VERY much appreciated

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
what it is is

a full size quad with what many would consider to be one of the best designed, longest lasting quad engines that is called HO because it has a hight output exhaust cam and your happens to be the electronic fuel injection model, rather rare, technically a little more complex yet easier to operate in the cold. Just get onto Polaris.com and download the user manuel for your model. Basically just change your engine oil/filter (use your favorite full synthetic oil-I like shells' rotella t6) every 100 hrs, grease her up at the same time, other fluids can be done as you have time, but tranny/rear end is probably used most. There are many threads on topics of which oil/filter, what grease, Polaris brand or not, lots of choices. Then check/clean your air filter too. Now, Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Like mentioned it is a high output fuel injected 500. Very reliable & fun. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WOW, Thanks guys for all the quick replies.

On the gas tank it says SPORTSMAN and underneath that on same decal in red says 500 HO. On side of headlight is has a sticker that says EFI. On sides below seat another sticker that says ON DEMAND AWD with ADC. I can't wait for Saturday to go riding !! :)

Does the HO make more power than a regular 500? THe dealer said I will love the ADC feature

The Polaris dealer changed the oil and filter already, put a new air filter on it, greased it, and changed the fluids in the rear trans and front diff, O and changed the spark plug, and hooked it up to his computer and said all looks good, no fault code history. Should be good to go for a deep woods ride I'm hoping, have a tow strap packed just in case. I think I found a new pashion, there goes the house work again LOL :)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Open up the belt cover and make sure they cleaned out the clutches and belt dust and give them an inspection. With those miles and plowing with it, just good todouble check them before going off to far and deep alone. Otherwise, sounds like a great deal. Can't find one around here with those miles at that price private party even.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Open up the belt cover and make sure they cleaned out the clutches and belt dust and give them an inspection. With those miles and plowing with it, just good todouble check them before going off to far and deep alone. Otherwise, sounds like a great deal. Can't find one around here with those miles at that price private party even.
I will do just that tonight, better to find out in garage then on the other side of the mountain! The little 330 would need a new belt too if it had to tow this beast home, its like a tank compared to the Trail Boss 330

THANKS MUCH for the suggestion

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Another little insurance would be to add a dab of dielectric grease to the spark plug to help keep moisture out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrates and nice score. Mine is the same ride but an 06. Your gonna love it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've got the exact same one, EFI and HO. It sure starts and runs in the cold better than my '04 carbureted 700. I only paid $2300, but no winch or plow, and I'm sure mine is more used and I've had to replace some parts. $3000 sounds like a good deal for one in great shape.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another little insurance would be to add a dab of diaelectric grease to the spark plug to help keep moisture out. Just a thought.
Good tip, I have some of that kind of grease too, I'll be sure and do such to it, and the Trail Boss too!! THANKS

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out today with the boy, about 20 minutes away from home we stopped for a few minutes, I shut the quad off and when we started on on way again the quad spit sputtered bogged like it was out of fuel backfired and stalled. Restarted but it didiin;t want to run right, spit sputtered, backfired than ran. So we stayed kind of close to home and it seemed to run ok but if I'd get on it some times it felt like it had piles of snot and other just so-so, thenit wooud do its cough, spit, sputter, check engine light come on and die. Coast to stop, put in park, it woud restart, idle high, like 2500-3500 rpm, take a while to settle down, some times runs some times back fire, spit back through carb once, cough and die, Then it woudl run good again. We made it home but WTF??? I kind of know now why maybe the guy traded it in!! Check codes, 12 ans 61 but it never said WAIT like the service manual says it shoul dwhen done with codes. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Call the dealer you got it from right away and make them check it out. You haven't had it long enough for them not to cover it if they are a decent dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yea, plan on doing that but they don't reopen unnitl monday at 9, 9:01 their phone will be ringing.

I'm going to drain the tank tomorrow and refill with high test and some seafoam. It acts like it just like you would think a vehicle does when it runs out of gas. The seat was full of corn, looks like it was parked for a while and somebody was stock piling for the winter in it, nothing chewed and no droppings anywhere, just about 50 or so kernals of dried field corn in the underbelly of the seat, I thought it was gravel in there at first LOL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just pulled the spark plug, it was wet. Also insulator snow white, a bit too white but plug was just put in. It did have a build up of like greyish white chalk looking stuff on the back side of the ground wire and thread face facing the compustion chamber was black. I wipped out plug port and boot really good, going to let it sit overnight by the heater to thouroughly dry out and put plug back in with a good coating of silicon dieletric paste on it, I didn't have a chance to do that and didn't know how to get to the plug until tonight. It may have gotten wet from my hose down after bring it home though, it was mud and puddle city in the woods and I played with hose for an hour, don't know if was wet first and the problem or did it get wet later when I washed down??? It acted up before I went through any real water or mud though, unless it got wet from dealer wash down after changing plug?? Think they would know to put some dielectric on it? It was bone dry except for water

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Air box clean, they did put new filter on it. No, I don;t think they went through it that well, the grease zerk for the ujoint by trans was missed, bone dry, an dthey couldn;t have changed the front diff fluid as there is no way the plugs were pulled. I will be pulling allot of things tomorrow AM and maybe go ride again in the afternoon. My words with the dealer on MOnday will not be good ones, may visit in person even instead of phone call.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Air box clean, they did put new filter on it. No, I don;t think they went through it that well, the grease zerk for the ujoint by trans was missed, bone dry, an dthey couldn;t have changed the front diff fluid as there is no way the plugs were pulled. I will be pulling allot of things tomorrow AM and maybe go ride again in the afternoon. My words with the dealer on MOnday will not be good ones, may visit in person even instead of phone call.
Trust but verify is my motto. I would definitely "show" the dealer your finding in regards to what they told you. :motz: It does sound like a fueling issue and it is throwing codes although I don't have a code chart.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts