Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I beleive this is my first post here. It's great to see a forum dedicated to
polaris. It's great to be here.

I have an issue that perhaps someone can clear up. I have owned my sportsman since new(about 15 months now) and it has about 1300 miles on it. Other than issues with wires breaking in the headlight pod in extremely cold weather and a recently failed input seal on my front diff I have basically had no issues.

However, recently I have begun to experience intermittent pressure loss when applying pull to the front lever. The fluid looks great and is not low. I have cleaned up the machine and it seems there are no visible leaks anywhere in the system. It seems about 1 out of every ten times I apply the brakes the lever will go straight to the handlebar but still builds enough pressure in the system to stop the machine. I can release and reapply, and the lever will be perfect again as if nothing was ever wrong. It may all be in my head but it seems this occurs much more often when reversing.

Could this be early symptoms of failed master cyclinder seals? How can I test? I am reluctant to take the machine in as I have always done 99% of my own work. If I had to pay dealer rates there is simply no way I could ever afford an ATV. However brakes are something I'm a little hesitant to mess with too much, given the safety factor...

Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
boy, im not too sure, but for kicks have you just tried bleeding the brakes? usually air in the lines will give you consistant low pressure, but maybe. it would be an easy starting point

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boy, im not too sure, but for kicks have you just tried bleeding the brakes? usually air in the lines will give you consistant low pressure, but maybe. it would be an easy starting point
Kind of strange that air would suddenly get in though, after 1300 good miles. No leaks, all connections are tight. Also, I would be inclined to think it would be consitant and not so sporadic????

I guess it might be worth trying though. Just HATE the old fashioned way. Maybe I should buy a vacume pump.......hmmm..

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Kind of strange that air would suddenly get in though, after 1300 good miles. No leaks, all connections are tight. Also, I would be inclined to think it would be consitant and not so sporadic????

I guess it might be worth trying though. Just HATE the old fashioned way. Maybe I should buy a vacume pump.......hmmm..
i agree with everything you said, dont know how it would have got in, it should be consitant and not sporadic....short of tearing you master cylinder apart, i dont know what else

1 - 6 of 6 Posts