Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend dropped of his 2008 sportsman 500ho today, it is not charging what should i look at for troubleshooting?

·
Registered
424 Posts
See if the magneto is putting out and work you way forward till it stops. Check all wires and connections as you go to see if they are tight, clean and not broken.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good battery, keeps going dead, but the connections on the relay above battery are really correaded, got them soaking with rust check so i can take apart and clean. only going by what i was told.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the starter relay is that messed up, the battery posts are probably just as bad. Get him to take them apart and give them a good cleaning. Put a bit of dielectric grease on the contact surfaces and snug up. Then coat the rest of the connection up. The battery has a large ampacity to overcome the built up resistance where as the magnito doesnt, so it would be difficult to charge through.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cleaned all contacts up, unplugged stator and checked voltage, only getting 5v on any two of the three wires, going to take stator off and have a visual inspection when i can get it inside, too cold outside now. if gone guess he gotta buy 1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts