Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year while plowing my driveway it over heated. Didn't think it was a big deal. Put it away. Lost my job so I didn't have the money to do anything with it.
Just changed the antifreeze and oil/filter, emptied gas and put fresh gas, along with new battery.
Started it up yesterday and ran for about 1 minute and was rough. Turned it off and checked the oil and it was all foamy.....:aargh4:...
Water in the oil??

How and why? I guess what I am asking is how did this happen? Was it a simple haed gasket? Or crack some where?
What is the best way to check where it is? I am getting a pressure tester for the radiator to see if I can hear air going into the oil filler tube......
Also, what do you thing the cost would be if I was a DIY'r
Still not working full time but need to fix.
Thanks for all your help and comments.
Mark

·
Registered
422 Posts
Was it stored in a heated or above freezing place? Buddy of mine left racing quad in his unheated garage last year, got cold enough the antifreeze (or lack of) froze and cracked his water jacket around the cylinder. One ride out, quad go boom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, It never froze. It was always in a garage and never really got that cold. I think the issue happened before it overheated.
I was told that the 800 always burned a little oil so I didn't think anything of it when it used a little oil.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Was there any oil or anything in the antifreeze?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ddnt check the antifreeze yet but I put pressure tester on radiator and heard air in the engine. Then took right plug out and it was wet and air sound was louder...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds to me you blew the headgasket or warped the head. Fix it before you run it because the cooland will quickly destroy the crank bearings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I posted this question... After reading all these post, it also sounds like the waterpump seal leaking? Other than taking it apart, how would I know if it was a head gasket or water pump seal?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I tend to think the headgasket or head is the problem since you said it ran rough when you started it. To me it sounds like it is running rough because you have coolant in the combustion chamber. Coolant in the lower end wouldn't make it run rough but it will wipe out the rod bearings. I'd pull the head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks WRCZX3
Now that I think about it, I did have some white smoke in exhaust and plug was wet....Thank you!
Well here goes it! A long weekend project, along with the Christmas tree!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK looks like Im replacing the head gasket. Where would you suggest I get it from. And is there any other work you would do while its apart?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest update. I replaced head gasket. Ran fine. Started right up. Then after it was warmed up, smoked like a 2stroke. doesn't seem like there is any water in oil any more.
Any Ideas? I guess it could be rings? Also there is pressure in the crank case....yup!
Looks like I will take the top end completely apart this weekend.....

Is it easier to take the engine off completely and do it on the work bench? is it as easy as it looks to remove the engine?
And yes I will take it to a machine shop to make sure nothing is warped....

All this fun.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts