Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a used 2008 sportsman 800 from a dealer. They offered me a warranty but I denied it. On my first ride I noticed it was sputtering at start up. It was cold and after a few minutes of riding power would kick in. I just thought it was warming up. Then on my third day it started sputtering in the middle of my rides, then the power would come back. Today i left to get gas and it sputtered the whole way and wouldn't go over 20. When I pulled into my driveway it completely died(convenient) and now its completely dead. It seems it has to be electrical because nothing will light up at all, but does that explain the sputtering? Are there any common Sportsman causes for this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
sounds like a bad fuel pump, but that's just a guess. nothing lighting up at all is probably unrelated. try working the kill switch on the left handlebar a bit, i've seen alot from that time that you have to hold the kill switch slightly to the left or right of center to get it to get power. if that's the case for the kill switch the only real cure is to replace it. figure out the power problem first then we'll work on the running issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so its not the killswitch. The quad started up fine since Ive had it also. The reason I thought the sputtering was related was because right before everything died it seemed like all the sputtering was getting worse. Then When I pulled into my driveway and the rpm's went down the quad just went dead. There is nothing at all now. Is it possible wiring was causing it to have low power with the sputtering? or even effecting the fuel pump? Would the bad wiring cause the quad to shut down immediatly? Or would it just not allow you to start it back up? Im wondering why it just shut down when I got back and not on the way home.

·
Registered
919 Posts
First check the freeplay on the throttle for the won't run issue. The end of the lever should only move 1/16" to 1/8". For the sputtering issue, I would suspect the t-bap sensor wiring harness. If you search the forum for it you should find all the info you need. A good replacement harness can be found online at Only The Best powersports.

Also check the fuel pressure. It should be 39 +/- 3 psi. If that is not in specs it's probably a bad fuel pump.

Stew

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
no lights or anything? check battery and connections, wont run with bad battery, needs it to run computer, fuel pump ect there are also fuses under the front box

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so I took. it into the mechanic, Charged me 45$ for nothing. I replaced the fuses but it was to dirty in the fuse box to recognize it. The electricity is back, but its still sputtering. Now I have to change the fuse every time it starts sputtering because it blows. Have there been issues with the t-bap sensors and fuses blowing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
no, the bad t-bap will cause sputtering and throw a MIL code but not blow the fuse. you have a short, that's the only reason for repeatedly blowing fuses. time to start tracking wiring. check very closely to the harness as it passes up into the headlight pod. they like to rub there and cause a short. good luck, and happy hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts