Polaris ATV Forum banner

2008 Sportsman of 800 HO Actuator

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Jwilbur 
#1 ·
So I just traded my Bike for a Quad which happens to be a 2008 Polaris sportsman 800 HO EFI. I got it a few weeks ago and have been driving it without issue. The past few rides the Batt light was flashing throughout the ride. Yesterday (Canada Day July 1) I took off for a ride with a bunch of friends. The Batt light was flashing but no power loss. I started getting stuck and noticed that the 4 x 4 stopped working and I was only driving in 2 X 4. I got unstuck a few times using my winch. Finally I got stuck again and then the Winch stopped working. THe Batt light was still flashing and the first time I got it working again by revving the engine. However I was unsuccessful of getting unstuck and the winch stopped working. WHen I Pushed the button to activate the wince the Engine would start to die. Finally not being unstuck and with no winch the Engine died completely. I got a buddy to boost me and got started again. After having the booster cables on for about 10 mins I was able to drive it for a short period. Got stuck again and then the engine died again. I got towed out to the closest road. My buddy boosted me again and we left the cables on for another 10 mins. Got it started and I drove home (Approx 3 kms) without any issues at all. No batt light came on and everything seemed to work (4 X 4 unknown if it worked) I got home and had zero issues with my winch and was able to draw in my cable again. Current trouble shooting issues that I am doing at this point.

- removed Batt and testing it for Charging Issues.

I was told that it's possible that it could be my actuator but I have no clue what that is or how much something like that would cost or where it's even located. Does anyone have any other options that it may be? WHat else could be causing these issues?:yel:

See less See more
#3 ·
Possibly Stator now????

Ok so tested the Batery and no issues, the test says "Good Battery" I brough it home and put a multi meter on the terminals. With the engine running the DC volts was 12.27 solid no movement. I revved the engine a little and held it and no change at all. From what I am looking at online it seems like it's possibly the Stator.

#4 ·
Stator or voltage regulator. For the cost of a voltage regulator and the ease of changing it vs doing a stator I would replace it first. Or test continuity of the stator. There is a thread on here with the readings you should have across the stator wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Really confused now???

I have been talking to many people today and now I am being told that my machine which is a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI HO doesn't have a Stator it has a generator??? Can someone please confirm this??? I do know that I have narrowed it down to my charging system. I have tested everything that stopped working with a fully charged battery and everything is once again working. To me this means that it's my charging system because as the battery starts to die things stop working again. So weather it's my stator or a generator all I am sure of is that it's something to do with charging. God I hate weekends in a small town. Nothing is open.

#6 ·
#7 ·
So just spent the afternoon trying to DX the issue and it seems like my mechanic friend thinks that the issue is the rectifier. So Ordered one and I'll let you all know what happens after I install it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.