Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone received a recall letter from Polaris on the 2009-2010 Sportsman 550/850? I received one today and the recall is about the steering knuckle having an oversized ball joint stem mounting hole and/or improperly tightened steering knuckle pinch bolts could cause a reduction in the clamp force required to retain the ball joint stem in the steering knuckle.I had this problem a couple of months ago and I made a few comments lol to the dealer and Polaris about it along with several others and finally they went through with the recall.What it boils down to is the ball joints will eventually fall out of the hub/steering knuckle and could be very dangerous.So check your front end parts before you ride and if the ball joints seem loose,then take the atv to the dealer and it will be fixed under the recall.

P

·
0 Posts
Not yet but after reading it on here I approached the local service department and got a set of parts put away for me (when they all arrive!) so that the work can be done ASAP.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer had my XP for a month over the steering knuckle problem because they couldn't get the parts from Polaris.They ended up putting a steering knuckle,upper and lower ball joints and control arm(a-arm)bushings on one side.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What a PITA..... I wish they would build them properly right from the start.
But thanks for the heads up info. I will be checking mine regularly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the one Seadog7. Has anyone besides me had the steering knuckle problem?

·
Registered
667 Posts
polaris must have had a lot of complaints or there would be no recall. seen guys complain of this for months on other forums. my parts are on order for both front knuckles. a guy even had a video on youtube to show how bad they can get,put in 850xp ball joint it may still be there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree SNW629.I guess they knew that lawsuits were sure to come eventually if they didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yep, I received one couple days ago for the same issue.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up. I have to say, that Polaris is the worst for customer service. I have YET to receive anything from them...not even a Thank You for buying note in the mail.

When I purchase my Suzuki QuadRunner 500...I got Thank You after Thank You.

Again...that is something I am not impressed with Polaris. If it weren't for these forums...I'd know nothing going on.

·
Registered
667 Posts
just to be fair,the recall letters are just comeing out and i have gotten mailings from polaris since i bought my XP in june.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up. I have to say, that Polaris is the worst for customer service. I have YET to receive anything from them...not even a Thank You for buying note in the mail.

When I purchase my Suzuki QuadRunner 500...I got Thank You after Thank You.

Again...that is something I am not impressed with Polaris. If it weren't for these forums...I'd know nothing going on.
Hmm, I got thank you mailings. Maybe it the dealer you bought from and not Polaris?

·
Registered
667 Posts
a good dealer can make a huge differance,when my ECM shorted out on my first ride at 20 miles my dealer took one out of a stock unit and had me out the door in 2 hours.

·
Registered
667 Posts
my recall parts just came in,going in tomorrow to have done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read on another forum that the recalled units were 850/550xp model years 2009-2010 manufactured from Dec 2008 through June 2009.

·
Registered
106 Posts
09 & 10 550 & 850 sportsman models manf. 1-1-09 thru 8-31-09

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hmm, I got thank you mailings. Maybe it the dealer you bought from and not Polaris?
Humm...I'm curious how that can be??? I would think it is Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to submit paperwork and such to the Manufacturer. If my paperwork was submitted, then why no mailings from Polaris?

I just cannot imagine what the difference could be between one dealer and another regarding VIN and Registration paperwork? If that is the case...I suppose to Polaris my '09 SP XP 850 has never been sold...which then would mean that I have a lifetime warranty?! :rofl:

OBTW: The QuadRunner 500 was purchased from the same dealer...

biz
:boggled:

·
Registered
964 Posts
09 & 10 550 & 850 sportsman models manf. 1-1-09 thru 8-31-09
See this is good to know...mine is not part of the recall. My '09 XP 850 was manf. prior to those dates. Mine seems to be an early build...even though I purchased in May 2009.

So far...I really LOVE it...and has been the best machine I have ever owned!:fing02:

biz
:cool:

·
Registered
667 Posts
had my recall done today. the installed left and right front knuckle kits.
the kits contain knuckles,ball joints,ball joint pinch bolts and caliper bolts. done in 1 day and is back in my garage and ready to ride.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts