Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me a while to get a replacement battery here in Alaska and I installed the new one (anyone who has one of these knows how that goes) and now I don't have power to the ignition/instruments, but my lights work. What did I leave out of the hook up? I have a large and small wire connection to the positive and negative and don't see anything loose that I forgot, but apparently I missed something. Can anyone give me some advice about what the wiring should be to the battery?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!!

Many time batteries are not sufficiently charged. Throw it on charge over night and see what you get...

CW

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Problem

Thanks for the comments. The charge to the battery helped. Everything is working great. A new problem came when I hooked up a "battery tender Jr" to the post of the solenoid and to ground. The charger show a "no charge" condition when I plug it in. I have the positive on the post of the solenoid and the ground to the frame. Is it because I have it on the solenoid and not the battery that I get this reading? How can I tell if it is charging the battery now or not? Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
555 Posts
Try connecting the positive cable of the Battery Tender to the positive post of the battery. Then make sure you have a good ground. If in doubt, connect the ground of the Battery Tender to the negative post on the battery.

If your Battery Tender is connected properly, the light will be solid red (not flashing) for a while, then start flashing green, and then solid green when it is fully charged.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Are you hooked up on the solenoid on the batter side and not the starter side? That would cause this issue.

If you look under the panel in your front box, you should see female bullet recepticals in a harness. Those are for quick and easy charging access. You can get male bullet connectors and make you own harness for the Cather easily if you need to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still a problem

North Branch, I cannot hook the charger directly to the battery. I'm not sure if you have a 400 like I do, but it took me three hours to change the battery and after all the bruises and busted knuckles, found that I didn't have room there for any more wiring. I saw the alternative hook up in the owners manual and on another thread here.

Blueline, I have it hooked up according to the manual, but can switch the positive one over to see if it works. I have not found a female receptacle in the harness, but will look again. No mention of it in the manual either. Is it right near the radiator/solenoid opening in the lid?

Thanks to both of you.

Mike

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Mike,
Charging can be a dangerous sinero, please be careful. Its advisable to connect the ground side to a chassy because any sparks will be away from battery fumes. But the pos really should be as direct to that battery as possible and that should read the pos battery post.

If this was mine and I had these problems I would make room for one more attachment and that would be the charge wires for your Battery Tender!

Good luck and PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

CW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duh

Blueline, thanks for the tip. I did indeed have the positive terminal on the starter side. Swapped it over today and the tender is indicating a charge. Appreciate the help. If I ever have to change that battery again, I think I'll just sell the unit. What a chore that was. Every other unit I've seen has the battery accessible. Not this one!! Can't believe the engineering design on it. Again, thanks.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts